some f1 facts

Orion

Facts and figures on Williams' FW27

Tue 01 Feb, 8:14 AM

Fascinating facts and figures on the new Williams FW27, which was launched today at Valencia:

# 1.3 terabytes of aero data processed in CFD (1 terabyte is a thousand million bytes, equivalent to 69,333 volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica.

# 250,000 man hours of design time has been spent on the FW27, with a further 250,000 man hours required in fabrication and build.

# 4,500 drawings have been produced in the design of the FW27 chassis. End-on-end, these drawings would stretch for 5.350km with a further 4 km expected to be produced to support the FW27’s lifecycle. By the end of the season, drawings would reach from London to Buenos Aires.

# The FW27 will accelerate from standing to 200kmh in five seconds, and deceleration forces on board will reach 5g. 1g equates to driving into a brick wall at 30kmh.

# Brake temperatures to generate the deceleration will reach 600 ºC in one second On board the FW27, exhaust temperatures reach 950 ºC and even the air temperature in the pneumatic valve system reaches temperatures two and half times boiling point at 250 ºC.

# The BMW P84/5 contains 5,000 individual components, and takes 100 man hours to build. BMW have historically produced approximately 200 engines per season, but this figure will reduce in 2005.

# BMW produce 1,000 drawings in the design of each engine.

# The BMW engine weighs less than 90 kilograms.

# At 19,000 rpm, 316.7 revolutions and 1,583.3 ignitions take place each second in the BMW F1 engine. 9,500 engine speed measurements are made, the pistons cover a distance of 25 metres, and 550 litres of air are drawn in. In the P84, maximum piston acceleration was 10,000g. Peak piston speed was 40 metres per second.

the article...

long, but full of good stuff.

Should prove to be another great season. I honnestlyt hing the rules should be changed every year just to fuck with the teams. It's great to watch everyon figure things out over the first few races. ;) I'm pullin' for BAR this year, I hope their new wheels can keep up where thy left off last year. Hopefully they won't pull "a Mclaren". tongue.gif

also, call me crazy, but I'm looking forward to Saubers performance, hopefully they're making better use of those engines this year.

their transmissons have brains, that enable them to automatically blip the throttle going into a turn, and they also remember they also automatically down shift at certain revs, ect...kinda takes some of the driving out of it, if all you have to do is steer. It used to be good drivers were good drivers for not blowing their cars up, and driving fast laps, now there is very little driver error that causes mechanical damage ala missing a shift gate, over reving ect.

F1 is amazing and I do enjoy it, but I think they need to step it down in technology a little, so to speak.

All

Originally posted by B:

their transmissons have brains, that enable them to automatically blip the throttle going into a turn, and they also remember they also automatically down shift at certain revs, ect...kinda takes some of the driving out of it, if all you have to do is steer. It used to be good drivers were good drivers for not blowing their cars up, and driving fast laps, now there is very little driver error that causes mechanical damage ala missing a shift gate, over reving ect.

F1 is amazing and I do enjoy it, but I think they need to step it down in technology a little, so to speak.

All

Brandon, do you realize the amount of driving that is required to get those cars around the track as fast as they do? First off, they diffinately do much much more then simply steer. But for the sake of setting an example, lets say all they have to do is steer, no gas, no brake, no tranny, just steer. Watch an in-car from on of the more technical tracks like Monaco, Macau, or Shanghai, then tell me you could keep presence of mind throughout the omnidirectional extreme G-load to steer it through the twists and truns at that speed. I garauntee it'd take quite a few laps and a few destroyed cars before you could get it on the line consistently. ;) Anyone remember the 2 seater Minardi? At 7/10 they couldn't get some passengers to stop screaming.

That is why it's the PINNACLE OF MOTORSPORT. Its the fastest, most advanced machines on the planet (in the private sectre) piloted by the best drivers in the world. The cars do alot, yes, but dont think that the drivers have it made. Micheal Schumacher showed us last season why he gets paid what he does.

Originally posted by B:

Eric i am saying it takes some of the racing out of it. I think that a good driver should be able to not miss a shift, not over rev, and win a race, more traditional i sapose.

Inded you are right, but considering the level the machines are at, its just not possible. Seriously, it is beond the abilities of the homo sapien to do all that stuff on time every time throughout an entire race. Put all that stuff int he control of the driver and no one will be finishing any races.

The F1 racing your looking for is great stuff, and can be found here, wait no, back here,. No, wait no no, further back here. Err, no, still alot of electronic control, try way back here. Well hold on, no, they had rev limiters, these too, here we go, here's the F1racing you're looking for. graemlins/thumb.gif

truly beutiful cars, I absolutely love'm, but we're just not going to see a comback anywhere other then Goodwood. :shrug: