Good used 4-door cars? Opinions please...

Bam

Originally posted by CR Caddy:

'95 was the first year for the Con-tique. Is it the SE comparable model with alum. rims? Manual or auto? My wife has a '95 SE V6 and it has been an outstanding car. My only gripe is with the auto trans. Feels like it absolutely chokes all the performance out of the car.

It's probably a '95 then, I won't have the car in my possession until this weekend, so right now I really don't know that much about it, don't know what trim, etc. It is an auto, and it's actually rather fun to drive. It feels a lot more peppy than I ever would have expected from a FWD ford.

I used to own a 90 accord owned it from 62k to 135k. I had to do very little work in that time(axles;under $100 and bout an hour for both, valve cover gasket; around $10 and about 20 minutes, and wear items like brakes and tires) The car ran great and got good gas milage, couldnt tell you exactly, but I got to indianapolis and back on a little over a half tank. Using 87 octane was nice too.

I currently own a 95 Maxima. I think it is only slightly more comfortable, though a lot more roomy. The v6 motor has a lot more pep but you pay for it in gas milage, and more complicated repairs, when they are needed.

I think both cars have there Pluses and minuses. I dont recall if the accord v6 requires premimum or not but if it doesnt, that might make a good choice too but those are later and more expensive.

I think the grand prix GT would be another good option. The n/a 3.8 isnt a slouch and is a VERY reliable motor import or domestic. Being a GM parts will be super cheap and easy to find when things need replaced, especially things like brake pads and rotors.

Toyota Camry is another great 4 door sedan. V6 models were offered even in the early 90s models. A few of my friend's have camry's of various years and all have been trouble free, even the ones with 100k+ on the odo.

Guest jpurdy2003
I highly recommend a 95 or newer SR20DE powered Sentra four-door. They sing all the way to their 7800 RPM limiter, have more torque than a 4 cylinder should be allowed to, and get around 35-40 MPG if you choose to drive like a grandma. I put 50K on an older SR20DE in the span of a year and three months with heavy abuse, and only had to change a CV axle. It would still be alive and kicking if my dumb ass didn't downshift from fifth to second instead of fifth to fourth and put a rod through the block.

LOL, its cool. Does anyone have opinions or experience with these cars?

1) Toyota Camry/Corolla? Not neccesarily the newest bodystyle but maybe late 90's, like the 2nd newest bodystyle, if that made sense?

Also, what about the Mazda Protege, I've seen some low priced ones out there. We looked at a 2001 Protege w/ 19k miles,private owner, and it was only 7 grand. Any thing to look out for?

Thanks

Matt