future miata

DeathSandwich

Originally posted by 94whitegsr:

I was watching 'car and driver television' this morning and on the spy shots segment they showed the new miata.... they said something about a rotary engine option in the future.. anyone know anything about this? :confused:

Welcome to forever ago. I'de dig up the info, but I don't really care. tongue.gif

Miata = graemlins/supergay.gif

Originally posted by buckeye:

Fixed v8=the win

I've actually done some research into this and the general consensus was that most any v8 in that car would throw off the perfect balance and make it handle like crap compared to stock. Although a turbo kit would make it heavier in the front, probably not nearly as much as an iron block engine. Plus, if you move the battery to the back, and remove some unneeded crap in the engine bay, I'd be willing to bet you'd get back to 50/50. The 302 is what is generally done in these cars (all iron stock). I believe there are problems putting the LT1 or LS1 in these cars, not to mention the fact that an LS1 is going to be an expensive venture, if you are concerned about the weight distribution.

If you need something faster than 250whp and 250wheel tq. in a 2200lb. car, look elsewhere. These turbo kits are also purely bolt on, where as the V8's, your either paying someone alot for a kit, or doing alot of fabrication. It's probably not an as 'on the cheap' project as some make it out to be. I wouldn't be interested in killing the inherent very good handling of this car to go a little (or even alot) faster than that. There are much better platforms to start out on if you are just looking to go fast in a straight line.

[ 01. November 2004, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Neo ]

Originally posted by Mowgli:

The 305?!?!? WTF?

"Hello, I'm [Miata owner]. I'm stupid as hell."

Whoops, 302. Sorry I accidentally quote the wrong engine size on a car I've never owned. I guess if it makes you feel better about yourself that you can be an ass and call me dumb when I type something wrong, more power to you. It would have been much more polite, and constructive to simply state the correction. I’m not sure why I expect polite conversations from some people (anyone?) on this board sometimes though. :rolleyes:

When have I ever owned a Miata? :confused:

Guest doggunracing
Actually the 302 is pretty damn light, and you'd be surprised how close in weight it is to the stock engine plus turbo gear. A complete small block ford with aluminum heads and water pump weighs only 435 lbs. The article I read only added 200 lbs, and a lot of that is the bigger diff, brakes, and dual exhaust. The front end would probably be no more than 100 lbs over stock and ~50 over a turbo kit. It definitely would be more work, but not necessarily more money or hp.

Originally posted by Neo:

Whoops, 302. Sorry I accidentally quote the wrong engine size on a car I've never owned. I guess if it makes you feel better about yourself that you can be an ass and call me dumb when I type something wrong, more power to you. It would have been much more polite, and constructive to simply state the correction. I’m not sure why I expect polite conversations from some people (anyone?) on this board sometimes though. :rolleyes:

When have I ever owned a Miata? :confused:

No Neo - you misunderstood me. Didn't know it was a typo. There is a 305 engine. But it sucked. So I was saying that anyone that'd swap THAT engine in as opposed to the many other sb choices would be dumb - sorry if that wasnt clear. I have a headcold today and am flying on dayquil and zercam, so I'm about as witty as a treesloth....

No Neo - you misunderstood me. Didn't know it was a typo. There is a 305 engine. But it sucked. So I was saying that anyone that'd swap THAT engine in as opposed to the many other sb choices would be dumb - sorry if that wasnt clear. I have a headcold today and am flying on dayquil and zercam, so I'm about as witty as a treesloth....

Ah, sorry, I took it the wrong way. I assumed you knew what people usually used in the "Monster Miatas", which is the Ford SB 302 btw. Yes, from everything I've heard/read, the 305 SBC isn't worth its weight in scrap for trying to modify.

..am flying on dayquil and zercam...

Sounds like fun, you should be resting and having some 'fun' dreams right now instead of trying to have conversations over the net. tongue.gif Hope you get to feeling better though. graemlins/thumb.gif