How much is this used Optima Yellow Top worth??

Nitrousbird

I'm prepping my car to be ready to come out from it's winter hibernation in a couple of weeks.

Battery #1: My couple year old (out of warranty) Napa battery was in the car. Jump started the car, good voltage. Ran it for several minutes, quick drive around the block. Shut car off, and the battery doesn't even have enough power to light the dome light (car has a good 140am alternator on it too).

Battery #2: My old Blazer's battery; battery is at least 5 years old. Jumped fine, good voltage, this one had enough to power the dome light, but not enough to start the car.

Time for a new battery. My roomate has an Optima Yellow Top out of his SS. He is going w/ a different battery for his new setup, and said he would sell it to me.

The battery was used to start his car maybe a dozen times. It is a little over 2 years old, and has been sitting on a wooden shelf the whole time (was set their fully charged, never on a charger though).

I'm taking it over to Mario's tonight and putting it on his charger for a day's worth of trickle charging.

ASSUMING the battery will hold a good charge, what is it worth?? Neither of us knew for sure. What is the genuine FAIR price, I don't want to overpay, and don't want to rip him off either.

About $70 or so. The replacement part of the warranty is up, so now it's all pro-rated.

This is assuming it holds a charge. If it's gone flat dead, it's done for. Never let a dry-cell battery fully discharge, it ruins the cells.

BTW, tell Mario to post on here his own damned self graemlins/grin2.gif

Originally posted by Matt Sterbator:

About $70 or so. The replacement part of the warranty is up, so now it's all pro-rated.

This is assuming it holds a charge. If it's gone flat dead, it's done for. Never let a dry-cell battery fully discharge, it ruins the cells.

BTW, tell Mario to post on here his own damned self graemlins/grin2.gif

It definately wasn't fully dead; I tossed my jumper cables on it, and it could get some power to my dome light n' such, but definately not enough to power anything up or even try to start the car.

Mario just let me borrow the charger. I'm going to try 24 hours worth on 2amps and see how that does; might bump it up to 10 amps for a couple hours after that if it doesn't fully charge, then go from there.

BTW, Mario has never posted under me or Tim's screen name. Don't know if he's ever posted under any other screen names; CR doesn't usually come up in our conversations (I usually hang out w/ him and a few other guys drinking our minds away on Sat. nights :D ).

Guest mudbutt
The yellow are deep cycle, so going dead isnt really an issue with them. My Red top (non deep) has gone completely dead a few times and is about 6 years old. It has some issues in the winter but for its age and abuse it had heald up well. $75 is about a fair price, but Id try for 50 since you can get a new battery for around that. unless you are doing funkey mounting the optima arent as awesome as they are made out to be, especially if your alt is up to snuff for the crap you are putting it through.