Audi question

04r1

I am looking at a 1999.5 Audi A4 1.8t quattro and want to know if its a bad or good year to buy? Do these cars have many problems? Not looking to make this a racecar or anything, just a daily driver that will probably at most get rims, suspension, and maybe a small turbo upgrade. Its very clean and is all black leather and loaded. Car just had timing belt change, waterpump, alternator, new battery, and brand new tires. Also, what would a fair price be on this? 10-11k?

Guest Spyder550

Just quickly clicking through Kelley Blue Book, it came up as $11,005. I assumed a stick and 35K on the clock. Didn't click any specific options, but sounds like a good range.

I had considered buying one and doing a turbo upgrade, as well, but went with a 96 LT-4 Vette instead because I realized I wouldn't have time for mods.

Would have gone for at least 300HP... graemlins/nod.gif

99.5 is one of the best years for A4s.. has all of the latest exterior and most of the interior updates for B5 (96-01) models. Also, it does not have DBW (started in 00) so people usually like it better for modding and throttle feel.

In terms of reliability, they're not all that reliable.. But if you do your own repairs and keep ontop of maintenance it'll bring down the costs quite a bit. Hell you've ridden in my car, its a fun car to just get around in.

Guest Drvn1dvsvw
I say go for it...but the 1.8T's have their share of gremlins in the electrical department, I know for a fact. If you're looking for a upgraded turbo just rock the super K04 for a little added punch since you said you're not looking for too much power. good luck with your purchase. But when you upgrade your turbo don't forget you IC...the little telephone book sized ones don't really cut it. ECS is a good place to go but they are pricey, as mentioned before go to auto assests which is close to you. But if you wanna have an upgraded DIY turbo system look into www.eiptuning.com or www.atpturbo.com.

Originally posted by Maro:

Also.. the 1.8T's have documented issues with oil pump failures and sludging.

A girl I work with just had to pay $7K to have the dealer put a new motor in her 2000 A4 1.8T. :eek:

i had my pick up sludge up and the engine ate it's self. They have so many serivce issue i can't even begin to disscuss them. Bottom line you will need to maintaine the car yourself. Or pay alot to have someone else do it. There are many cases you can find yourself on the side of the road for dumb bullshit.