Hold off on that hybrid

SupraGlue

well thats what happens when you use old testing methods, simple evolution of technology. I still think hybird cars are better for the enviroment though, and according to the epa, on how they run there tests, hybirds are more enviromentally safe.

Guest Tony_K

Law of conservation of energy > hybrid Honda.

Where do you think it gets the juice to turn that big dynamo?

Gas motor generates current that powers electric motor that helps the gas motor power the car? ...hmmpf..

When I first saw the Insight, with its light weight, swoopy lines, skinny tires, and poor performance, I immediately figured that its high mpg came more from all of the above than from its hybrid powertrain.

Twenty years ago, magazines were reporting mid to upper 30s in mpg in honda civics and other Japanese cars. A couple of models managed to eek out over 40mpg in their testing. 20 years later where are we?

If GM can get such good hwy miles out of the Vette (upper 20s, right?), why are econo cars not 50-60% better today?

1985 Porsche 944: 550 mapquested miles @80mph through the mountains in <17 gallons, just a few weeks ago. 8)

Man, that's funny. People paid several thousand dollars more for their Hybrids as compared to an equivalent vehicle from the same manufacturer. Most never did the math to figure out to just break even, they had to drive their vehicles anywhere from 100-200k miles. And that was going by EPA estimates.

Now the real world data comes out, that's thousands extra spent for very little gain at all. Of course, the cost of repairs is higher due to a more complicated drivetrain, crappy performance, etc. The consumer looses out big time. From the few prices I've seen on used Insights, their resale hasn't been all that hot either, espeically when compared to other Honda models.

Originally posted by Tony_K:

If GM can get such good hwy miles out of the Vette (upper 20s, right?), why are econo cars not 50-60% better today?

upper 20's/low 30's :cool:

I said this to a friend last week and I'll repeat it here: The Prius and the Insight have been engineered to have extremely low rolling resistance and some of the lowest Cd's of any production car. Put these on ANY car and they will produce better mpg. IMO a gas powered (non-hybrid) car with the same specs would perform similarly. Thats why GM's hybrid Silverado only uses the batterys to power the car while at rest, and not electric motors to move the car.

The only place we should be looking is alternative fuels. We should be moving towards using E-85 for the near future. It's domestically produced, clean, higher compression ratio's can be used, more boost, more power, etc.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

fucking hippies, The Diesel VW rabbits of the 80's got over 40mpg with ease, had 2 friends that could roll around for what seemed like forever with those little f*ckers.

I was thinking about checking into the Civics with the hybrid engines after I got the S4 paid off, guess not now. What does the VW TDI engines get gas mileage wise?

Brand New GLS (top of the line model, which will weigh more), Sub $20k

Auto: 33/44 city/highway

Manual: 38/46 city/highway

And your driving around in a VW Golf instead of a Civic.