Applogy to Germain Nissan

Science Abuse

first off get your ducks in a row. Get all your paper work on past repairs Oil changes everything ever done. its good to show the the vehicle was properly maintained and all service was done.

As for them doing the Diag in 2hrs cant answer that how the determined it in 2hrs they may be dealing with past expirence from other vehicles with the same engine.

Now for the hard part, you have to keep a cool head.

as for the engine needing replaced its hard to say without tearing into the engine. which will cost more.

Talk with Rotarded he used to be a service director at saturn he may be able to give you more indepth advise on how to handle it.

Good luck

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't tear the truck apart. Try to go take a look at the parts, if it is back together they didnt remove a thing.

Bad rings do not cause a loss in oil pressure. Worn main and rod bearings, or a worn out oil pump do. Sounds like you've spun a bearing or two and damaged some piston rings due to the lack of oil on the cylinder walls.

Who have you talked to at Germain? Just a service writer? You need to escalate your probelm to the Service Manager, then the Dealership GM, and then the Nissan area rep. You need to try to stay calm when you talk to these people, because believe me it does help.

Think of it this way....

The oil pump pulls oil from the sump (pan) and forces it up into the various oil passageways in the block and crank.

The oil flows out of the crank journals, through the bearing clearances, and back to the sump. The bearing in your engine are actually NOT supposed to contact each other. The oil acts as a fluid bearing.

Oil pressure is a function of the volumetric flow of oil the pump will put out and the volumetric flow that the bearings will pass. If you have a huge gap or hole in a cam, rod, or main bearing, you will lose oil pressure, as the pump cannot meet the flow requirements of the engine.

My guess is that one (or more) of your rod bearings were damaged back in February and that is now showing itself. It really sucks... I am sorry to hear of your problem.

An oil pump does not supply oil pressure, it supplies flow. Pressure is a restriction of flow. The oil galleries and bearings cause this restriction. When the bearings wear out it reduces the restriction, and pressure drops. A loss of oil pressure means the rotating parts did not have a protective layer of oil on them, causing metal on metal contact and destroying the rings/bearings.

I am not sure how that will help your cause. They will probabaly say that the wear was caused when the pump went out originally. They should have recommended a replacement motor back then IMO. :(

Yes a loss of oil pressure = no/very little oil on the cylinder walls.

It doesn't take much wear to cause a significant drop in oil pressure. There is no telling how long or gradual it could have been.

Originally posted by The DropTop:

Just say you were driving it, and it suddenly went to zero. smile.gif

there's no "saying", thats what happened. :)Actualy Elena was driving it.

What pisses me off even more, she went in to Germain for an oil change. She left with;

Oil pan seal 1 - 24.94

oil pan seal 2 - 24.94

gasket- oil "STRA" - 7.60

oil pump - 89.48

oil strainer - 26.99 (for a wee screen?)

timing belt - 49.52

oil pump gasket - 9.15

oil filter gasket - 1.98 (wtf?)

crankshaft oil seal - 9.66

Silicone - $15.95

flush filter - 34.95

oil filter - 11.41

5W30 oil - 3.38

parts total - $301.10

total w/ Labor $1286.19

She agreed to this without calling me because, for some reason, she trusted the dealership. In reality she totaly got taken advantage of because she knows nothing about cars. They told her that the found a hair line crack in the pump...IN THE PUMP!? How, during an oil change, do you get close enough to the oil pump to see a "hair line crack"? If its stored outside the crank case, how is it $1000 labor to change it and why would it require removal of the pan? Does anyone have some pics of this VG33E engine? 2001-2003 version, frontier/Xterrra oil pump, the infinity gets a different pump apparently.

[ 21. May 2005, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: The Stig ]

Ok, went in today and neither the service writer (nick) that did this, the tech, nor the service manager was there. A fellow service writer helped us out a bit. He took us to Nicks desk, and found his quote that hemade up for us. $4500 for a used engine with 108,000 miles on it! He expects us to trade a 43k mi engine for a 108k mi engine, and pay $4500 for the privilage. On top of that, that engine will have no waranty whatsoever.

I did learn a bit about procedure. Late night Drop offs are given secondary priority. They finish the cars that people are waiting on, then get around to checking out the drop off. So here's the time table:

1:30am, car dropped off

7:00am, shop opens

8:45am, Elena gets a call stating that the oil pump is fine, but the engine needs replaced. Figure the service write took 15 mins to proccess what the tech gives him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would take more then an hour and a half to get to an oil pump and confirm its function.

My significant other also conveniently remembered that they adressed her 60,000 my warranty last time she was there. They said that since she didnt have proof of regualar oil changes, the warranty was void. They honnestly expect her to have all 14-15 oil change reciepts handy!? Also, you can drain an engines oil, fill it with sand and alkali, and it still won't crack the oil pump housing.

The reason the service manager was not there today was because all germain dealership managers had a meeting today, sorry for the inconvenience.

If there is one thing the Germain company is good at, its service. I know from personal experience, I see it everyday. Now I have never been to the nissan dealership but it is still a Germain and they still care about the customer. All I can say is keep a cool head and speak to the service manager, if you are a good customer they will bend over backwards for you, but if your an asshole they will be skeptical to do any favors for you.

As far as the validity of the service they say your car needs, I dont know, but I've never seen them make stuff up at my work.

[ 24. May 2005, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Powered By Geo ]

Originally posted by Powered By Geo:

The reason the service manager was not there today was because all germain dealership managers had a meeting today, sorry for the inconvenience.

If there is one thing the Germain company is good at, its service. I know from personal experience, I see it everyday. Now I have never been to the nissan dealership but it is still a Germain and they still care about the customer. All I can say is keep a cool head and speak to the service manager, if you are a good customer they will bend over backwards for you, but if your an asshole they will be skeptical to do any favors for you.

As far as the validity of the service they say your car needs, I dont know, but I've never seen them make stuff up at my work.

After today, I agree completly

I'd like to apologize to the Germain folks for things said in this thread.

I went into this without a very vital bit of info and made some uncalled for comments and assumptions. The woman conveniently forgot to mention that, in 43,000 mi of operation, she never had an oil change....ever, EVER. The Service people at Germain Nissan have in fact been very resonable and have come up with some resonably priced options and solutions.

youre, like, fucking kidding me right?

43k on original oil?

on the brighter side, an oil change every 3000 would have cost about 300 plus time per change and gas to drive to the shop to have it done. for that many miles, she saved like probably 400 bucks on oil changes to put twards the swap.