Shoot me.

Guest 00Smurf

I've spun a rod bearing in the supra. :( now i have a dead engine. Stupid people who had the car before me didnt seal the oil pan properly and it burst on my way home from work yesterday. Anyone have anysuggestions on what d=to do? how much it will cost? where to go?

also if anyone has an engine ift i could borrow to take the engine out and preferably someone to help me do it, as i have no clue. lol.

:sigh: well its back to the van for a while it seems.

Originally posted by copperhead:

1UZFE

Lexus 4.0 Liter V8

The engine is only around $500, but to do the complete swap would be pricey, I've researched this idea quite a bit.

only $500 for new one or a used one? what all would be needed for the swap, and would it be availaible if i just purchaced a wrecked one. also wht kind of performace can be expected? is it hard to TB etc?

Originally posted by buckeye:

I'll swap um for 300 if you come up with a replacement

Kirk's Service center

506-3019

i have a replacement, but $300 is too expensive for me atm. if i can do it myself, it'd be better and cheaper. just would need help and an engine lift.

thanks for the offer though.

what does everyones sunday look like as in this comign sunday? I am just gogin to swap the 91's engine into the 89 replacing the headgasket and oil pan seal while the engine is out. Would like to start this asap. and seeing as how sunday i pretty much everyones day off, this woudl be perfect. I have a big garage and alot of tools. i do know i dont have an engine hoist or lift. i dont know what all will be needed?

So ic an provide:

Garage

Most tools

Free beverage of choice

commentary

brunt of jokes

wireless internet

tunes and a tv for watchign the race while working.

so if anyone wants to come help let me know, and if u can bring wht i dont have let me know as well.

what kind of support to yo uhave in your garage roof? I have a ratchet thing for pullin motors but it hangs from a beam. or you could just rent a engine hoister from a place like murrays tool rental they used to rent them 231-3657 I might be able to stop by sunday depends on how long it takes the shadow the ventilate the block. smile.gif

Originally posted by 00Smurf:

only $500 for new one or a used one? what all would be needed for the swap, and would it be availaible if i just purchaced a wrecked one. also wht kind of performace can be expected? is it hard to TB etc?

To make it a turbo motor, and do it right, I estimate it would cost around $10 grand, but that's including about $1,000 to buy the car itself. With low compression pistons, a bigass turbo, good fuel and ignition 600 RWHP is very attainable. The 1UZFE comes in the LS400, the SC400, and something else, can't remember, but the one in the SC400 is the only one with the correct oil pan to clear the crossmember. The bellhousing to mate up to the R154 tranny has to be ordered from New Zealand. I still haven't figured out how to set up the electrical system and fuel management :(

Oh, and $500 is for a used motor. Which is fine, because these motors last ~400k miles if left stock and reasonably maintaned

Originally posted by Gas, Grass, or Ass:

what kind of support to yo uhave in your garage roof? I have a ratchet thing for pullin motors but it hangs from a beam. or you could just rent a engine hoister from a place like murrays tool rental they used to rent them 231-3657 I might be able to stop by sunday depends on how long it takes the shadow the ventilate the block. smile.gif

my gpa used to raise stock car motors from the roof, it can support the motor(he used to race at columbus motor speedway).Is that good enough?

Originally posted by copperhead:

To make it a turbo motor, and do it right, I estimate it would cost around $10 grand, but that's including about $1,000 to buy the car itself. With low compression pistons, a bigass turbo, good fuel and ignition 600 RWHP is very attainable. The 1UZFE comes in the LS400, the SC400, and something else, can't remember, but the one in the SC400 is the only one with the correct oil pan to clear the crossmember. The bellhousing to mate up to the R154 tranny has to be ordered from New Zealand. I still haven't figured out how to set up the electrical system and fuel management :(

Oh, and $500 is for a used motor. Which is fine, because these motors last ~400k miles if left stock and reasonably maintaned

stock for stock, wich is faster 7mgte or 1uzfe?

more than likely i would leave it stock for a while till i had all the money to major upgrades. reliablitly wise itd be more reliable than the 7m right?

as for the electricla and fuel, couldnt u just splice into the 7m harness or would i have to be custom wired? also will a/c and other enigne driven accesories still work? is there anyspecific year of the car that is better for the swap?

sorry for all the questions but i am very intrigued.

my gpa used to raise stock car motors from the roof, it can support the motor(he used to race at columbus motor speedway).Is that good enough?

probably as long as the beam is still there I'll look for the ratchet thing and a good piece of chain your more than welcome to borrow it if it'll work for ya

stock for stock, wich is faster 7mgte or 1uzfe?

more than likely i would leave it stock for a while till i had all the money to major upgrades. reliablitly wise itd be more reliable than the 7m right?

as for the electricla and fuel, couldnt u just splice into the 7m harness or would i have to be custom wired? also will a/c and other enigne driven accesories still work? is there anyspecific year of the car that is better for the swap?

sorry for all the questions but i am very intrigued.

Stock for stock, probably the turbo 7M is faster, the 1UZ is probably more powerful than an N/A 7M though. The 1UZ is FAR more reliable than a 7M.

It's not just as easy as splicing the harness. You are going from a 6 cylinder to an 8. The ECU that is designed for the 1UZ is a PITA to deal with, which is why I think it would be better to go entirely with an aftermarket engime management system, like the Megasquirt.

It's very possible to get all of the engine driven accesories, including A/C, to work. You would use all of the accessories that come with the new motor, and just connect them to where they need to go on the car.

For more info, check out these sights:

http://www.lextreme.com/

http://v8supra.com/

Unfortuanately, the only people that are really messing with these motors seem to be in New Zealand or Australia, so it's a bit difficult to get parts. However, I think that more and more people are starting to realize the potential of these motors.