Feds to require automotive Black Boxes?

copperhead

Big Brother is watching you. tongue.gif

There will be more of those removed from cars than AIR pumps from 1976 Camaros...

Whether cars have them or not, there is no law requiring they remain in the car. So if you must buy a GM car, take it out.

I think we can count on both liberals and conservatives to effectively control their use in order to preserve privacy rights.

From what I have read about them, they are no different than a blackbox in an airplane. It measures for a given time and then resets and runs again until it sences an accident. It will have recorded the speed, direction and shock sensor levels from an accident.

Thing is, if you are driving like a asshat, and you get into a wreck, you get what you have coming legally. This thing just proves that you were being an asshat.

Guest Spyder550
From what I understand, at least in the C5 and C6 Corvettes, these modules are connected to airbag deployment, meaning that if they were removed, the airbags would be rendered inoperative. Some have concerns regarding that, and I believe that some corvetteforum.com members are looking for software hacks at this time.

Summed up in the last two paragraphs:

Privacy experts warn that once cars are outfitted for the most limited data recording, the government will find a way to argue it’s for drivers’ "own good" to collect more. They point to a push in recent years to install GPS in all cars so that emergency officials can easily find incapacitated accident victims.

"When you are telling someone it is for their own good, then it should be their own choice, they should be able to say ‘no,’" said professor Yale Kamisar of the University of Michigan Law School. "None of these things work out the way they are supposed to. Why should we believe all of these assurances when they haven’t been honored in the past?"

"According to Joe Osterman, director of highway safety at the NTSB, the recommendation was inspired in part by a tragic auto accident involving a 86-year-old man who drove his car into a crowded Santa Monica farmers’ market last summer, killing 10 and injuring 63.

Osterman said a black box in the car might have not saved the people in the crash, but would have allowed investigators to find out how it happened and how cars could be better designed to reduce the likelihood of greater injury in the future."

-------------------------------------------------

How is this little black box going to better design a car to not hurt people when you run over them?

Originally posted by Bgbdbn:

Osterman said a black box in the car might have not saved the people in the crash, but would have allowed investigators to find out how it happened and how cars could be better designed to reduce the likelihood of greater injury in the future."

What a load of crap. The only thing that would have helped those people is the guy not being behind the wheel of a car in the first place. Instead of this black box shit, what they need to do is start retesting senior citizens for their driver's license every couple of years and keeping people that do not belong behind the wheel off the road... :rolleyes:

Guest stealthy01ta
When my friend ran his 2k1 z28 through a guardrail the insurance tried to not pay up...somehow they got information from the cars computer that he had driven the car at 166mph at one point, couldn't say when though. And in my TA manual it says the computer learns your driving habits (fast slow) and adjusts for it.

Originally posted by TheBadness:

When my friend ran his 2k1 z28 through a guardrail the insurance tried to not pay up...somehow they got information from the cars computer that he had driven the car at 166mph at one point, couldn't say when though. And in my TA manual it says the computer learns your driving habits (fast slow) and adjusts for it.

yep GM PCMs I think since 99 or so have been recording data too but its no where near the data that the new ones will store.

Originally posted by Tony:

Unless it records date and time . . .

Still needs a loction. Without proving the location, there is no crime. Kinda like writ of hebeus corpus. I can say I like to put my car on jackstands occasionaly, put is in D and run it up to various speeds. You can say it was on a dyno, or some other form of private property.

Originally posted by Regenmeister:

Still needs a loction. Without proving the location, there is no crime. Kinda like writ of hebeus corpus. I can say I like to put my car on jackstands occasionaly, put is in D and run it up to various speeds. You can say it was on a dyno, or some other form of private property.

I can't say for using it for accident investigations but I do know that they will be using it to void your warrenty. They will look at length of WOT and how many time your go WOT. They will also look at maximum MPH and RPM and try to prove you were "abusing" the car.

No matter how this device works it will have to have an EEPROM in it. There are many many ways to disable it. You could even screw with the data that it is recieving if you wanted. If all else fails you could install a push button or something to allow you to erase the EEPROM or in a worst case scenario like right after an accident you could tap a 12volt source or coil lead to cause a failure of the chip altogether. You see these are just ways I've come up with in about 3 minutes. If anyones serious about it let me know and I'll come up with alot of things and it can be built. I have hacked HP laserjets, and Ricoh copy machines to do this type of stuff for work.

Evan