Question on Historic vehicles??

Total Sign

What do I need to do to have a few vehicles considered "Collector" or "historic"?

2000 Firebird- No longer in production

1988 Vette- almost 2 generations behind.

Able to get the cheap plates/insurance on both? More info please?

Thanks

Historical Plates- http://bmv.ohio.gov/hstrcal.html

Collector Plates- http://bmv.ohio.gov/clectors.html

I had cheaper insurance on my wagon since I told my agent it was used only to go to two or three cruise-ins a year and maybe a parade appearance. That's not to say I would be covered in the case of an accident at the dragstrip, because I would not be, like everyone else on this board.

Quoted from the Ohio BMV site-

The Bureau of Motor Vehicles references the National Automobile Dealers Association, Classic, Collectible, and Special Interest Car Appraisal Guide or the 4th Edition Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975 (Krause Publications) or The Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990 (Consumer Guide) to determine vehicles that are true collector vehicles.

I'd hit Google to see if any of Krause's publications are online.

(edit)-I am having no luck with an online list.

I just got my collector plates today for the Firebird.

You can't find the list online as far as I know, I tried. I ended up emailing KBB and asking them if my car was listed in their collector book, which they verified it was.

Try that, they were really cool about it.

for historical vehicle tags the car has to be at leaste 25 years old and you get limitations on the drving like it can't be daily driven limited miles etc. the nice thing is that the registration is permanent so its pretty cheap. makes it nice when you have a car like mine that spends more time in pieces than it does running. also with the historical tags you can use model year tags as well.

Guest Tony_K

For collector's plates, all you have to do is call the main BMV office here in Columbus; They will look it up in one of the books for you. When I have called in the past, they seem to have enjoyed looking it up.

If none of their books list your car, then you can send them photographs and any kind of documentation that shows it is used as a collector car (like proof of restoration work, shows entered, anything it was featured in, etc.) and they will give you a collector plate.

Their big concern is that you are not trying to use it to dodge the e-check, which obviously isn't a problem in Columbus...

oh, and you have to have a daily driver car (collector car can't be main transportation) and put the daily's plate number on the collector car application.