400+hp on stock KA (240sx original engine)

SHIEF

I was going to block it, but if I did, then my elbow pipe will hit the lines going to the MC, so I thought this housing would fit the engine bay, and it did, just the trim on the turbine side didn't come close. Hmm...this turbo seems to be the best for spool and top end. I'm working with a stock engine for now so I want a decent spool with some room up top for tuning. I'll get a laggy turbo when I build a engine. The T3/T04E w/ 50 trim has posted numbers in the low 400's, and will work nicely to 350hp, which is higher than I want with a stock engine.

Edit: just realized I don't think you were talking to me Mudd on the T3 issue, sorry.

man, you guys rock on all the info. i would love to stop in and see what projects you are working on. especially the kat project. maybe i could check it out some evening next week after memorial day? btw, shief you are using a new turbo? where did you get it?

also, my main concern and interest in this kat is keeping the cost a lot lower than the sr20det. i mean you can do that the right way and get away with like $3500 for everything you need. but i'd like to do the kat for half of that. i'm guessing you'd want all this for the kat setup:

turbo manifold, turbo, oil lines, upgrade fuel pump, some fuel management system, custom downpipe, intercooler, and some other odds and ends like injectors and plugs. what else am i missing for this setup?

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by ColumbusDrift:

also, my main concern and interest in this kat is keeping the cost a lot lower than the sr20det. i mean you can do that the right way and get away with like $3500 for everything you need. but i'd like to do the kat for half of that. i'm guessing you'd want all this for the kat setup:

turbo manifold, turbo, oil lines, upgrade fuel pump, some fuel management system, custom downpipe, intercooler, and some other odds and ends like injectors and plugs. what else am i missing for this setup?

You prettymuch have it down. Another issue is tuning. It is wise, if you dont go the Jim Wolfe route, to have someone with experience tune the car. as far as used parts for budgeting, there are a few depending on power goal. For intercooler one from a evo, starion/conquest, or small npr will suit you just fine and all but the evo can be had for less than $150, evo can be found for around 200. as for turbo, new ones arent that expensive, you can pick up a new t3/t4 for 500ish if you shop around. For anything over 200hp it is going to be hard to find a junk yard turbo. I believe the largest stock t3 is from the z31 300zx but I could be wrong.

Guest mudbutt
small npr is the intercooler from a small isuzu NPR truck. It is still rather large. the z31 turbo is good to about 200hp. Internal wastegate is fine. The sr guys, as well as other people are using them up past 400 hp with no problems.

Guest doggunracing

I'm one of the very few (if any) KA-Ts in Columbus. Tinman did an excellent job on the piping. I can help out with questions or ideas. I should be out Friday at Geero's if you want to check it out.

Stock DOHC compression is 9.5:1. Under 350 hp, there's no reason to change it. Over that, you're starting to push it because the stock piston ring lands are incredibly small. Might as well go 9:1 while beefing up the ring lands.

Originally posted by doggunracing:

I'm one of the very few (if any) KA-Ts in Columbus. Tinman did an excellent job on the piping. I can help out with questions or ideas. I should be out Friday at Geero's if you want to check it out.

Stock DOHC compression is 9.5:1. Under 350 hp, there's no reason to change it. Over that, you're starting to push it because the stock piston ring lands are incredibly small. Might as well go 9:1 while beefing up the ring lands.

Keith, I saw your car out at Matt's -- it looks great. :cool: How does the powerband feel? Does it pull to redline and maintain boost up top? I would expect the midrange and spool to be pretty solid.

Originally posted by doggunracing:

don't forget you still owe me a ride.

Guest doggunracing

Brandon, yeah, we got it done last week.

Thanks Mark, it feels pretty good, but I'm running it on low boost until I can dyno it. I need a ride to compare it to something.

Ben, you got it smile.gif

is anybody going out cruisin this week, i would love to check out someone's kat setup. unfortunately i gotta go back to toledo for my sister's graduation on thursday nite. btw, i will have a 90 s13 coupe for sale in the next few days/week. i just gotta get the title for it and what not and will post some pics later.

• 1 year later...
Guest ohioka24de

i have a ka24de motor bout to put a t3 t4 turbo on it

ima cheap ass so i put a honda forgot what year fuel rail on it and some supra 440 cc injectors..lol.. and ima get a apexi safc2 controller for now and a 3 bar map sensor

good to go..lool

Guest mudbutt
i have a ka24de motor bout to put a t3 t4 turbo on it

ima cheap ass so i put a honda forgot what year fuel rail on it and some supra 440 cc injectors..lol.. and ima get a apexi safc2 controller for now and a 3 bar map sensor

good to go..lool

For sale:

240sx blown motor

t3/t4

s-afc2

3 bar map sensor.

also, does anyone know what junkyard turbos are t3 or t4? what i mean is what car could i take just the turbo from and use on my custom turbo manifold. i remember sportcompactcar doing an article about it about a year ago, but i can't seem to find it. i think that the ford thunderbird turbo coupes had t3's and some volvos also? any help would be sweet.

i have a nice front mount for $50 if your interested...

jsut throwin that out there.

Guest DSMkILLsV8s
For sale:

240sx blown motor

t3/t4

s-afc2

3 bar map sensor.

sorry fat mc fat pack .but it didnt blow up thank you very much u dont haft to blow 3 grand on something becuase of its shap to get the same results..fatty

Guest mudbutt
sorry fat mc fat pack .but it didnt blow up thank you very much u dont haft to blow 3 grand on something becuase of its shap to get the same results..fatty

English; do you speak it? Me being fat doesnt hold a car together.