OMG!!! Kerosene in the Gas Tank....

Boxxbanger1

ok, my dad and his drunk friends were parting tonight. the wife of one guy ran her car out of gas... so the drunks grabbed the gas can to add fuel.... i just looked at what they did and the gas can was full of kerosene. they got about 2 gallons of kero in the tank and drove it to the gas station (1-2 miles) and filled it up with 87 octane. now the valve are ticking like crazy.... the put some STP fuel cleaner in the tank also.

a friend told me to have them drain the oil. add new oil + 1 qt. of ATF fluid??????????

What is the best thing they can do to save the car?????

its a 97 ford taurus

I know you can pour small amounts of kero in with the fuel to clean out the fuel system, but that much would eat the lubrication off the cylinder walls. I would say unhook the fuel line and let the pump get it all out, then run fresh gas through it and change the oil. I wouldn't put ATF fluid in the crank case.

Originally posted by Boxxbanger1:

they got about 2 gallons of kero in the tank and drove it to the gas station (.... the put some STP fuel cleaner in the tank also.

That STP fuel cleaner...is kerosene. ATF = oil. I don't know why someone would recommend putting it in the crankcase, but I don't have an argument against it either, so I'll just say I don't know, you're on your own.

Guest nevarmore

Drop Top has the best idea. Get the kero out ASAP. Thats the most time consuming solution, but it is the one that is guaranteed to work. Be sure to bleed it out of the injectors and fuel rail if you do it. IIRC the Taurus should be set up such that the fuel rail and injectors come out as a unit. Take them off, set a plastic pan on top of the engine, set the rail assembly in there and crank the motor over.

A few less invasive treatments might work. Attempt them at your own risk, they are not guaranteed fixes like draining the tank is.

Diluting it with some gasoline might help, get the tank 1/4 or 1/2 full and slosh it around. Does kerosine float on gas? Other way round?

Perhaps using a thicker oil would resist the kero washing it off. Then again, a thinner oil could help too since it would re-lubricate faster. Some Marvel Mystery Oil or a Prolong treatment might save the engine too.

At the very minimum, unhook the battery and let the ECU reset before doing anything and again after you fix it. The kerosine is probably driving your knock and O2 sensors apeshit.

Thats NOT valve tick. It's compression knock, like a diesel. As far as putting fuel cheaner in th oil, don't it will turn the oil water thin immediatly and ruin the engine. So that's a bad idea. Best to not put ANYTHING in the oil.

As far as the fuel, did they fill the tank with 87 or just a few gallons? If it's not topped off, go get 5 gallons of turbo blue racing fuel and a couple cans of octane boost and put it in. THat will offset the K-1 in the tank. If the tank is over half full then its will have to be drained.

ATF has loads of detergents in it, its not a bad idea to use that before an oil change it will clean everything, just dont run it longer than 5 minutes, and dont drive it.

Those oil flushes do the same idea but guess what they contain...yup, kerosene

clean that bitch out!

well he changed the oil this morning to be on the safe side, and the engine isnt ticking anymore. i guess the fresh fuel diluted the kero enough... sees to be doing ok now. if it blows up in the next couple days ill let you all know

thanks for the insite

Originally posted by recklessOP:

+1

one of my friends accidently put kerosene in his corvette a while back. he pulled the key out, but the engine wouldn't stop... :D

not to hijack the thread, ut did you seriously get a new viper? If so... dude... I sooooo gotta get a ride in that thing smile.gif