Just got a $300 gift card from Sears

400 HO

I have alot of misc. sockets and screwdrivers. What I need are wrenches and a nice tool chest. I think I'm going to get once of those 9 drawer cabinet thing-ees. I also need a nice set of pliers... Just wanted to throw this out and see if there are certain tools that you guys "can't live without" sort of thing. I also thought about getting a compressor and maybe look into pnewmatic (sp) tools as well. Does anyone on here really use a compressor for anything besides pumping up tires????

most bang for the buck would be a complete mechanics tools set. 300 should get a large set that comes with alot of stuff. sell your existing stuff that you replace with the new stuff and use that money to buy the ratcheting wrenches.

Hell yeah I did, Clark helped too, I think big papa's advice sounds like a good idea that way you'll have new tools and get the others tools you wanted, killing two birds with one stone. smile.gif

never sell your tools. just buy a bigger box smile.gif

if you get ratchet wrenches get the gear-wrench brand way better than the craftsman ones and sears sells them too for slightly less money.

craftsman used to have a nice pliers set that had

needlenose, slip joint pliers, channellocks, side cuts and linesman pliers.

if you work on alot of old rusty crusty stuff like I do you may want a good set of vise grips.

some other can't live without tools

bench grinder

drill press (portable)

bench vise

good set of drum brake tools

air chisel

die grinder

just some more ideas have fun shopping

I like using a pipe wrench, propane torch, or vise grips on the really tuff bolts. If you ain't got many tools a good set with a little bit of everything would be a good start. Also the tool cases alot of those sets come in are pretty much junk unless its a metal tool box.

Evan

Originally posted by Ponti-Yacker:

... Does anyone on here really use a compressor for anything besides pumping up tires????

Oh heck yes. Air tools elevate your wrenching to a whole new level. An impact wrench is a must have tool in my opinion(Air or electrical). 300 beans doesn't necessary get you a lot in the way of air tools/compressor so if you are still needing to add conventional tools to your set then get those first. I will agree with Tractor on the vise grips being nice. I never needed vice grips until I needed them, ya know? Above all, have fun spending the money man.

CJ