Attn: corvette savvy people

A friend of a friend has a '62 vette that he is trying to get to run. Aparently the engine that is in the car now is junk. He wants a "cheap" fix. Is there a motor that you can swap fairly easily or lower cost that just getting a crate motor. Or can you find an motor to replace the one that he has in there now?

Thanks for the help in advance!!!!!

~Jennifer~

i honestly have no idea. i've never been into vettes much, so i don't know the origional motor. all i know is it has the motor that it came with. it was this guys fathers car and now he wants to repair it to get it running again! (it's a friend of one of my girlfriends)

BTW, just in case the question is asked... any where around town that would be trust worthy to work on the car?

I'd either repair the original engine (would make his car worth so much more with original engine) or go to a junkyard and find a wrecked 350 (i.e. LT1, LT4, LS1, LS6) and drop one of those in there. Unless he'd be willing to buy one of those engines from Jegs brand new for 5k or 6k, plus what it would cost to drop it in there. You can find wrecked cars for a good price, considering there is no engine damage.

yes. i vote for getting an LS1 and a T-56 six speed out of a wrecked f-body or vette, and put that in there. i think that both could be had, together, for about 4K. youd probably have to do some work to make the tranny fit, maybe a new crossmember or something, and maybe a little trimming of sheetmetal, but i dont think it would be anything too hard.

Originally posted by Pony Pimpstress:

A friend of a friend has a '62 vette that he is trying to get to run. Aparently the engine that is in the car now is junk. He wants a "cheap" fix. Is there a motor that you can swap fairly easily or lower cost that just getting a crate motor. Or can you find an motor to replace the one that he has in there now?

Thanks for the help in advance!!!!!

~Jennifer~

What is wrong with the engine in it now? If it is the correct/original, you will want to keep or rebuild it. As far as getting running, any vintage (before 85/86 small block, or a 70's will be better) will do. I would try to repair the existing engine though. If you swap engines, it should be a fairly easy swap. You will need to reuse the water pump(I believe this is the short type of water pump) and pulleys to keep things lined up. If any questions, give me a pm, I do vette repairs and restoration work. All else fails, I offer to buy the vette.

Originally posted by 00 SLVR Z:

(i.e. LT1, LT4, LS1, LS6) and drop one of those in there.

Umm... she said "cheap". There is nothing cheap about retrofitting any one of those engines into a 1962 Corvette. If the original engine is still present, save it to be rebuilt and drop in any old small-block in the meantime. Salvage yard prices start at $150, and the install is straightforward.

Originally posted by SlowZ06:

Umm... she said "cheap". There is nothing cheap about retrofitting any one of those engines into a 1962 Corvette. If the original engine is still present, save it to be rebuilt and drop in any old small-block in the meantime. Salvage yard prices start at $150, and the install is straightforward.

I wouldnt listen to this guy he doesnt know anything about cars ;)

Yep he'd be foolish to junk the small block thats in it. If all the #'s match, that car put together right could be worth serious $$$$$ like $30k +. If they're in a pinch financially, I agree with earlier posts, put something in it so it runs, as finances get better - rebuild original motor -

I was just offering my 2 cents. It wouldn't be that expensive to drop one of those engines in there. The LS1 is a common engine to swap. People are doing it with 300Zx's and Rx7's nowadays. Most people are doing it with classic muscle as well. If you read my post, I said "repair the original engine." If that doesn't pan out, then go to a junkyard and get a "LT1 or LS1." Repairing the original engine would be #1 on my list. It would make the car worth so much more in value. And 99blownyellowgt, to say I know nothing about cars is an obsurd comment to make.

Originally posted by 00 SLVR Z:

And 99blownyellowgt, to say I know nothing about cars is an obsurd comment to make.

Uh, he was talking about me.... (He's a co-worker of mine.) Oh, and it's absurd. ;)

Originally posted by SlowZ06:

Uh, he was talking about me.... (He's a co-worker of mine.) Oh, and it's absurd. ;)

Oh, thought he was talking to me. My bad, blownGT. lol, i just speel it how it sounds, obsurd...absurd...lol, thanks for the spelling correction.