iPod in a Car

Kevin R.

If using an iPod to connect to a car audio deck, do you need one with mp3 compatibility?

Or how exactly do you hook up the iPod and cd deck.

I am deciding whether to purchase an iPod to use with my existing cd player or purchase an mp3 compatible one.

Thanks

the deck would needa headphone access port, or will need some form of a FM modulator, or if your deck has a tape player you can use a cd to tape convertor.

the fact the deck will except Mp3s or not has no effect the ipod is a outside source that the cd player will never read.

Originally posted by Crash:

I am under the impression that it's a little device the hooks to your ipod, then you tune to a certain radio station to listen to whats playing.

corectus.

usually 88.7 fm or something that only crummy public stations use. Alternately, if your deck has a set of auxiliary inputs, you will get a much cleaner signal by using them.

You have 2 choices if you want the ipod in your car as far as direct connects are concerened. First you buy a Pioneer head unit and then you can get the direct connect. The connect goes for about 120 and works great. The radio it self starts at 150. Other way you can do it is one that connects to the factory radio. I work at Circuit City and we have both these methods. Come in some time and i will show you what would work best for your car.

Well as far as buying a completely new deck, if I was to take this route I would just buy an mp3 compatible deck and burn using mp3's, this way I could fit 150+ on a disk.

The thing is, i figured if there was an easy way to hook up an iPod to my existing Pioneer deck, i could just purchase an iPod for 150~ and this would be much easier to get songs from computer to car, and also anywhere else I wanted to go.

Is there something besides the direct connect to go into my unit?

It is a DEH-P6300.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/472000-472999/472790_12_full.jpg

Originally posted by Kevin R.:

Well as far as buying a completely new deck, if I was to take this route I would just buy an mp3 compatible deck and burn using mp3's, this way I could fit 150+ on a disk.

The thing is, i figured if there was an easy way to hook up an iPod to my existing Pioneer deck, i could just purchase an iPod for 150~ and this would be much easier to get songs from computer to car, and also anywhere else I wanted to go.

Is there something besides the direct connect to go into my unit?

It is a DEH-P6300.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/472000-472999/472790_12_full.jpg

Get an auxilary input box that hooks into the IP-Bus (or whatever they call it) port, this is usually used for CD changers or XM receivers. Then, run a mini-stereo to RCA cable from the iPod to the aux box. I do basically the same thing with my Ford factory deck, and it works great. Plus, I find the iPod's interface is a hell of a lot easier to use (even while driving) than the typically crappy in-deck controls (if it even supports it via an iPod module).

It depends on the quality you're looking for. I know plenty of people who are using FM Transmitters, which you can use w/ any stereo and are plenty happy... as said above you just have to turn to a particular station. If you get an Ipod mini they have "Griffin iTrip mini FM Transmitter for Apple® iPod™ mini" for ~$40, which you can get on ebay or Best Buy.. Best Buy sells a bunch of transmitters and adapters..

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Lustalbert:

rca connect for pioneer

I believe this is OLD ie pre ipbus. But these are made and are quite inexpensive. Just look for IP bus to RCA, or even better IP bus to mini phone. Pio should have a part number on their website. Ive used these multiple times in the past. This will give you the mest SQ short of a direct interface that allows you to control ALL functions through the deck.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4109_35681,00.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_2007714_192089315,00.html

THis is the direct connect. Though your head unit isnt listed, giving pioneer a call may be worth it. When xm was released many of their older head units would still control and xm tuner.

I think I will probably go for an iPod mini and an iTrip. Sounds like a good plan for under 200$.

Does anyone know if the minis really hold 1000 songs, i have heard these numbers on mp3 players are usually greatly exaggerated.

Venom~ how much do you guys sell iPod minis for at Circuit City?

Originally posted by Kevin R.:

I think I will probably go for an iPod mini and an iTrip. Sounds like a good plan for under 200$.

Does anyone know if the minis really hold 1000 songs, i have heard these numbers on mp3 players are usually greatly exaggerated.

Venom~ how much do you guys sell iPod minis for at Circuit City?

I have 904 on mine now.. I think I can squeeze a few more on it too...