Auburn, Cord & Dusenburg

large_x7

Just wanted to say, I stopped by the Auburn Cord Dusenburg Museum on my way to Chicago last weekend. It's just outside of Fort Wayne, IN. Who would have thought that there was anything so cool in Ft Wayne?

Anyways, I'm not much of an antique car guy, but the museum was pretty cool. There were many more cars there than I expected Their focus was, of course, on Auburn's, Cord's, and Dusenburg's, but they had probably a hundred cars spanning from the late 1800s to the early 1970s. They also had some prime cars from the 50s and 60s as well, like an unrestored Mercedes Gullwing SL (it was slick!), Jaguar E-Type, 1952 Ferrari 340, and a Tucker.

It was also interesting to see how much automotive technology has changed in the past 100 years. Some of the bigger Dusenberg's came with straight-8 engines, which were supercharged to put out a whopping 200Hp! :cool: Today an engine of the same size specifications would be making probaly 400-500HP.

If you're ever in the Fort Wayne area, I would highly recommend taking 2-3 hours and $8 and seeing the museum.

www.acdmuseum.org

Yep its a great place to stop in. Its actually in Auburn, IN. If you want to go to the best car auction in the world, go up there Labor day weekend to the Kruse auction. Its the largest classic car auction in the world. A must for anyone who is into cars.

Guest vee21
Originally posted by Rally Red Evo:

Yep its a great place to stop in. Its actually in Auburn, IN. If you want to go to the best car auction in the world, go up there Labor day weekend to the Kruse auction. Its the largest classic car auction in the world. A must for anyone who is into cars.

+1 for the auction.

Plus it is cool to watch them auction off a car for a million dollars.

Originally posted by Avenger:

They may have only made 200hp, but that was with a redline around 4000rpm, and 6.5:1 compression. Back in those days, 8:1 was considered HIGH compression.

In any case, 600lbs of torque will indeed get you moving!

Yeah they had cutaways of some of the engines, and with the old L-designs, it was easy to see why they had such low compression.