LS1 + 8 turbos

Buck531

Guest visualpoet
WOw, That thing's a plumbing nightmare! Also an interesting use of the firewall as a collector/equalizer for all the turbos to feed into. I bet the in-cabin noise from that sounds liek a friggin hurricane behind the dash!

Guest nevarmore
I like the idea, but I don't think thats the best way to do it. I would have mounted the turbos onto an exhaust flange and had each cylinder feeding one turbo. It would cut down on the plumbing.

And what is the point of this shit???? So you can drag a fucking tanker behind you for the water injection to stave off detonation. I have seen shit similar to this on diesels. But diesel motors, of more importantly the fuel does not suffer from detonation, hell it's the whole point of getting a diesel to run is ass loads of compression. I found it interesting that there was NOTHING mentioned anywhere about the power output of this motor. Cost aside, the thing couldn't make any real power. It would hit detonation long before it would get over 4000 RPM. Considering that the MAX boost that gas, even racing fuel will take is about 28 PSI in a purpose built motor.what does that work out to per turbo. My math says 3.5 psi per turbo. Now number one, how do you keep turbos that small from spooling up quick, you basically don't. So, you switch to Methanol, it will take 40 PSI with closely controlled fuel management, but that's only 5 PSI per turbo, so it remains that you are going to get TO MUCH BOOST here, no matter what.

Second, think about the heat generated, and the temp of the intake charge. Somehow I missed the intercooler, and where would you put it anyhow?? I realize that a 57 Chevy has a cargo ship sized engine compartment, but with 8 turbos and the plumbing, something ain't gonna fit, and the cooler seemed to be it.

Years ago, Rick Doberton, built a Pontiac J2000 Pro Street car that was small block powered and had twin turbos feeding a double magnacharger setup. It whas cool, and it did run. But it was not built to run, and my bet it neither is this. I would not doubt that the video of *** dyno pull that is on that site was the only time that the motor was ever run, and due to the extreem heat in the exhaust that was clearly shown by the bright red headers, the exhaust valves are most likely burnt, the motor, in a non running condition will be set in the car, the car finished around it and it will be pushed on and off the trailer at car shows, never to run again. And if you don't believe it happens, I have seen MANY show car motors that had no cam , rods, pistons, rockers, valves or much else. If it wasn't showing, and it wasn't required to make it look complete it wasn't bothered with.

Guest stevil

I've heard of quadturbo and of course twinturbo, would this be octoturbo? lol :D

Originally posted by Desperado:

Cost aside, the thing couldn't make any real power. It would hit detonation long before it would get over 4000 RPM. Considering that the MAX boost that gas, even racing fuel will take is about 28 PSI in a purpose built motor.what does that work out to per turbo. My math says 3.5 psi per turbo. Now number one, how do you keep turbos that small from spooling up quick, you basically don't. So, you switch to Methanol, it will take 40 PSI with closely controlled fuel management, but that's only 5 PSI per turbo, so it remains that you are going to get TO MUCH BOOST here, no matter what.

Boost or psi isn't added together, it's equalized. All 8 turbos will run at whatever psi is desired... it's the amount of air per minute which is added. Each turbo will supply lets say 5 lbs/min at 15 psi. That would supply 40 lbs/min. He could have just went with twins each supplying 20 lbs/min, or a big single turbo supplying the 40.

Boost isn't what decides power. You could run low boost on a huge turbo, flow 80 lbs/min at 10 psi and make 500 HP. Or you could run 30 psi on a small turbo, flow 25 lbs/min and only make 200 HP.

This 8 turbo setup will work fine, although expensive. The turbos will spool quick, and that is good! :D