Audi A4

SiColin

I've been looking at cars for awhile now and I can't really decide on what I want. I was looking through autotrader.com and I noticed that the A4's arent that high of a price for like a 97-99. Well, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about these cars like pros and cons?

Be careful of the high mileage 1.8t's. I had a 97 audi a4 1.8TQ and at 103k the engine seized, and after 4k in repairs at MAG, it was never right again. It was a fun car, but they are not reliable high mileage. I would go with the V6, they are very stout and good performers. Of couse not so easy to gain power because its NA, but very nice either way. I've seen a4's of that bodystyle, 5spd, quattro, v6 with around 100k going for 5k and up.

Good luck with what you get.

Other nice cars are Passats, 98+ can be found Cheap, and are essentially the same car.

Repairs are expensive, but if you're willing to do them yourself and realize that german parts cost more $$$ you'll be alright. For modding, the 1.8T is the way to go as the 2.8 has a very limited aftermarket. Audi's aren't cars for everyone, if u're willing to stay ontop of maintenance and get a little dirty they are fun and rewarding cars that you'll have a lot of fun with. A general rule of thumb is to expect at least $1k worth of repairs per year.

Search www.audiworld.com or ask if you need more info.

Before you really buy an A4, take a look at my 2000 Passat. The B5 Passat body style (98-05) is really just a stretched-wheelbase A4. My wife bought this car new and it's been a tank. V6 with the 5speed manual is the way to go unless you are SERIOUS about performance upgrades. I have just a K&N and this thing scoots, while getting 26mpg and running smooth as silk.

We are looking into getting a CTS-V for my wife in the next few months. If you're interested its fully loaded and up for sale! smile.gif