Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe

Dave1647545494

I had a friend that had one, he sold it to another one of my friends, there was never a month when either of them had it that something didn't break, (imput shaft actually twisted and cracked on his once) so reliability is probably not that great.

It comes with 312 lb ft of torque and like 220 hp I think, so it wasn't too bad for stock performance, I think mid 15's or so. And I am pretty sure mods are not too hard to come buy for them.

Originally posted by Zeitgeist:

I hear insurance is silly for the SC.

Insurance can suck on them, they are classified as a performance car.

They are very, very heavy. They like boost, but not much more than the factory gave them. They are very strong from 100mph up, but 1/4 mile is about 14.9-15.5. If it has over 80K plan on doing the head gaskets, it is not fun. If it is a 5sp. it isn't a T-5 like everyone thinks, and it is weak imo. Ask RL on here, he had a car on the same platform.

Tom

I cant beleive you didnt come to me first :(

www.sccoa.com go poke around, links pages, etc.

thay can be had pretty cheap, but performance parts arent cheap. They are not good beaters, imo, but I like'm. The head gaskets are very problematic, and M5R2 5 sped trannies are known for eating suncros, but that easily fisxed with good head gaskets and brass syncro's. DIS modules and crank sensors seem to be flighty too, and the DIS modules are getting hard to find. I love the MN12 platform, look for an old 5.0 car, or PM ponyfreak here and ask if he has or knows of some cheap Mark 8s.

Originally posted by Assured Risk:

What are they asking and how many TOTAL miles on the car?

Yea I want to know too. I would hate to see that car as a winter beater. The thunderbird is under rated alot. Honestly you can make good times and good power with the 3.8 sc motor. I like the 4.6 or 5.0 option better but thats me. There are guys making impressive numbers with the sc though. The 3.8 does have problems sometimes with the head gaskets. Check over on tccoa.com and sccoa.com thunderbird and cougar club of america and supercoupe club of america. I am the ohio chpater director for tccoa. There are a lot of parts that are out there for these cars just got to know where to look. They can handle too.

Later,

jay