MK III Guys

Art

I have my 87 T and would like to know who here is familiar with these cars. I am planning to do an almost complete rebuild. If anyone would like to have a look at her and help troubleshoot...I would be greatful. I would like to also get some input as what to do for improvements.

I got this car for FREE from a doctor in U.A. He is the original owner and it is 5 speed, black, mostly stock from what i can tell, 95% or so. The turbo isn't boosting properly and the power steering is out. He quit driving it because of this. It has sat in his driveway for about 1 1/2 years. Prior to this he had taken excellent care of her. She has 250,000 miles. Typical rust here and there.

HELP ME, I love this car and want to bring her back to life. Thanks, Arthur.

Guest mudbutt
Get ahold of me on aim. If you need someone local to actually look at the car doug would probably be a good bet. The IPS crew has also worked on a few of them. I just rebuilt my motor. I can tell you things to prepare for and things that may need done. As it sounds you may just have a bad turbo. Run a compression and coolant pressure check to make sure the headgasket is still good. If you need a turbo. I have a few ct-26 in my garage.

Originally posted by Mud Butt:

Get ahold of me on aim. If you need someone local to actually look at the car doug would probably be a good bet. The IPS crew has also worked on a few of them. I just rebuilt my motor. I can tell you things to prepare for and things that may need done. As it sounds you may just have a bad turbo. Run a compression and coolant pressure check to make sure the headgasket is still good. If you need a turbo. I have a few ct-26 in my garage.

I just got back into town. I'm going up to matts to repair my wheel wells. If I get back at a decent time I'll give you a call arthur. If not I'll call you tommorow

I think i will need a turbo so i will keep you in mind...I would like to upgrade to a 60-1 w/10 degree clip ct26 as for my BOV should I go Bosch Porsche or Saab...any difference other than price?

Guest mudbutt
supposedly they are the same. As far as upgrades go the best for that turbo IMO and many others is non clipped exhaust and 57 trim. You lose potential for ~20-25hp but boost response is great. The 60 trim upgrades Ive driven are laggy, even worst than my full t04e 60 trim.

Do your headgasket before its a problem. Mk3's love to go through the stock hg's, bolts aren't torqued enough from *** factory. If you're planning on serious boost take out the stock headgasket, get an hks metal gasket, don't get the titan motorsports one, it's shit. Get the head milled and reinstall said gasket with arp bolts and torque them to i believe 90 lbs (could be wrong here). Beyond that the 7mgte is a great engine to work with, catback, dp, boost controller, intake are great starting points.

Best self mod ever... My Supra has a climate humidifing system built right in...thats right folks all it needs to do is rain and the car will periodically dispence the moisture though the dome light as it feels fit!

Guest mudbutt
you'll have that with free cars. If it is targa and leaking there. Go to a pool store and buy something called Jack's Lube. One application and mine has been leak free for almost 2 years now.

Hard top... The car was t-boned on its first tank of gas in 88' and has been fixed... looks like a good job but I guess it is possible it is coming though somewhere on the a or c pillar?

I found out why the power steering and turbo are having problems...power steering belt is missing so hopefully replace the belt and all are still working. Turbo, the exhaust leaks as much as the oil :D I think a header and 3 inch cat. back will solve that one.