0.9 g huh?

Mowgli1647545497

I'd think that because of the mass and the driver weight that turning from left to right would cause more g's to happen because there's added weight so that would get more momentum ala more force into a turn. But whatever im not a physics major.

Originally posted by AudiOn19s:

Please don't take this the wrong way because the CTS-V is a damn fine car, but I'm assuming that meter built into the car is the same thing that the G-tech uses to calculate cornering G's as well. The problem with the gague like this is that it will only record a peak number and the factory rating for the car is an averaged hold number and not a peak number so you should be able to easily break the factory specs as the car is only going to record the peak number.

Not taking it the wrong way. Those are all good points. Yeah, I'm conversant in what a skidpad g rating is and how its attained, measured, and what it represents. Also aware this is the peak recorded value. There is not a playback feature on this gauge, and I sure didn't watch the realtime continuous readout it does give as I was driving. ;)

Now having admitted that, I noticed that readout value in my new one and only daily driver car (so not exactly disposable) less than 13 days into ownership, at 29 degrees out, in the winter, after 7 decently drivable days, with less than a grand on the odometer. And groceries in the trunk. On a level street corner driving home. Without using the old whiplash tricks in a parking lot to fool an accelerometer (I could post a 1.5 if I felt like thrashing my car by fooling the guage - I've gotten a 1.7+ on a Tazzo suctioned to the rear window of a Camry with some parking brake trickery). So I'm going to cling to my ballswing thanks. Don't worry - when I get 1.20s on both sides though, I'll post that too. graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually, I'm still trying to get the facts as to whether this is an accelerometer or a "calculated g" based on yaw sensor (and if yaw sensor - is the yaw sensor a gyroscope or a measure of shock deflection...). I'm not exactly getting quick or clear technical responses from my searches on the actual implementation in the car.

For now I'm treating it as a "toy" feature.

Personally I think that the G meter (or whatever it's called) is one of the coolest things that I've seen recently as a factory option in a car.

AND I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to read a thread on this board that doesn't pertain to straight line accelleration!!!

On with the experimenting...I'll see you on the cloverleaf exit ramps on 270 in the near future!!!

Andy