0.9 g huh?

Mowgli1647545497

Originally posted by rarest truck on CR:

why is your speed zero???

Duh, because he isn't moving anywhere. That gauge has an instaneous and a peak feature.

Way to try and bust him out, try again some other time.

Glad to see you’re having fun with the new car, I bet it's a blast to drive. I always hate to see someone go from a fun car to a not so fun car. Granted this car is quite a bit different from your old car, but still fun to drive. graemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by Tenzig:

Victoracers ;)

May see if I can hit it on the stock rubber, though I seriously doubt it. But I was surprised at the Eagle F1 runflats.

Originally posted by MRMEANR:

Thats odd that the right hand turn is so much less than the left hand... is the car that unbalanced, or have you only hit it hard one direction?

The Latter. I had a peak of about .74 or .68 on that side for a while, until I got a shot at a clear turn with no traffic/salt/gravel/potholes coming home from the store. The numbers to the right/left are peak values, as are the hash marks in the 1g scale on the bottom. The center number is the realtime numeric g readout and the center hash on the bottom will grow a solid bar left or right along the scale in the direction of lateral gs as you're turning: turn left and the bar will grow to the right, and vice versa, leaving the outside tickmarks at peak. I took the pic in the garage a little bit after I got home.

[ 12. February 2005, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

I think it's possible to hit the 1g mark on stock rubber too. Since that would only have to be an instantaneous reading and not a sustaned loading like the factory rated roadhold spec is.

Do you have On-Star? A little warning: People that have autocrossed with On-Star enabled vehicles have had someone call over the intercom in the middle of a run because they detect crashes with a g-meter. They were pulling enough g's to make the system think they were in an accident and On-Star was automatically called.

well, his car was basically reading that he was turning the car .93(9.8m/s^2) without losing contorl of it. So at its current velocity (unknown-forward) it was cornering at 9.11m/s^2(left).

Heres a quick diagram... dunno if itll make sence....

http://www.mrmeanrracing.com/pics/turn.JPG

Thats how the computer is computing it. It takes readings every so often in a turn and calculates the G's by coming up with some equation of its velocity/rotational inertia.

OR, it could just have some mercury filled tube in it somewhere....

I like my way better though smile.gif

Originally posted by Venomss:

That's a cool diagram, and what you've said sounds really impressive (seriously), but I still don't understand.

What does .93 g feel like? What would it take to get that? Give me something for comparison. What's a normal turn like on that scale?

The force of gravity is 1.0g

so .93g's would be similar to sitting in your car if it were laying on its side

1.0g turning would be equal to the amount of force that gravity pulls you down.

And MRMEANR, Not sure why, but I think I read somewhere that the g's are usually greater turning left for a car, than turning right. Must be because of driver position or something. Not sure if this is true, It's just what I heard.

Well, I've watched the meter when following people in traffic and it seems your typical landyacht driving grandma/gandpas pull about 0.12 in turns. Most folks seems to pull .2 in turns. When I followed a 330i off the 270-Sawmill exit and he obviously went around it spiritedly I saw around .4-.5 following him. That was at a good clip.

My bet is the accelerometer is either a micromechanical device (silica substrate) or a small calibrated weight attached to a potentiometer strip, as opposed to mercury or some other liquid. I'm pretty sure its an analog device, accelerometers are as old as airplanes. If it was calculated based on sampling you have to ask "sampling what?". Remember the computer would need to take its readings from some somewhere, and you can't use the wheels, they don't rotate laterally, and you can't use gps its not fine-grained enough.

Austin's right: the left hand turn is usually the higher, mine was a right hand turn only because that's how it happened to work out.

I hadn't heard about the Onstar and g meter thing. I'm skeptical since from what I read they monitor the airbag deployment, not the g meter. The vast majority of cars dont have a g meter, and onStar itself does not come with an accelerometer (only a gps), it seems to me thats an urban legend. This is our 2nd onStar car, and the wife's Saab doesn't have an accelerometer. However, its good thing to keep in mind, and I will. Not like I'll be thrashing this car around a parking lot though.

As for having a driver to give it a proper work out, its got one: the owner. :D

Here's the highest I've seen so far:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/gmax.jpg

The owner of this isn't saying what rubber he was on and how long he'd had the car, but it was done during a nice warm July day. So while I've got some headroom left, I'm content that mine came 12 winter days after purchase, 7 of which were junk weather days. With less than a grand on the odometer. Cadillac advertises .9g. So step 1: Beat the Manufacturer = accomplished. Onward and upward.

Give me one summer and I'll have 1.20s on both dirs.

Probably I'm not a huge fan of them because they seem, to me at least, to exasperate the wheel-hop problem for IRS cars. Bind-skip-bind-skip... They do have great turning grip though, I'll give em that.

Plus they wear so fast. The runflat version also sets up a vibe at various speeds with is a pain for smooth highway cruising. But I guess the main problem for me is they width they mounted on the V. 8" rims as opposed to the Cobra's 9.5".

May go with some Michelin Pilots when these wear out... which should be about June ;)

Originally posted by Mowgli:

May go with some Michelin Pilots when these wear out... which should be about June ;)

I have the Pilot Sport PS2's for summer tires on the S4 right now (well, as of this moement have a set of all seasons on) and I really like them.

[ 14. February 2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Neo ]

Please don't take this the wrong way because the CTS-V is a damn fine car, but I'm assuming that meter built into the car is the same thing that the G-tech uses to calculate cornering G's as well. The problem with the gague like this is that it will only record a peak number and the factory rating for the car is an averaged hold number and not a peak number so you should be able to easily break the factory specs as the car is only going to record the peak number.

I was out playing with the G-tech this weekend with the M3 and was suprised at the numbers that I was achieving in a parking lot with Dunlop winter tires on the car...they were higher than the factory specs on Bridgestone S03's. Only when I realized that the G-tech is giving me a different reading than the factory specs did I realize that there's much more to be had from the car.

Andy