Sub/Amp question

Tulo

I just got a DEI Studio 3124 12" 400w RMS 4 OHM single VC sub-woofer and I need to get an amp for it. Would it be best to get an amp that is also rated at 400w RMS? Right now i'm looking at the Rockford Fosgate Punch 401S. It's bridged RMS power is rated at 400w x1. Would this be a good match? Thanks. -JP

Guest badmuthrfkr

Since you have a Honda, your alternator isn't that big.

I'd opt for a Class D amplifier, strictly for subwoofer usage. It's the most efficient, compared to Class A/B amps that consume power, but provide cleaner signals to the speakers. But in the subject of subs, you don't need a Class A/B amp, or an extremely clean signal.

How much are you looking to spend, I can try to point you to something I would get.

Here are a couple other amps you could consider (I'll just link the E-bay auctions):

Audiobahn A4002T

Audiobahn A2601Q

Just a couple amps I was glancing at while looking for some other stuff. I haven't heard any Audiobahn amps yet, but I love the Audiobahn sub I have, and the set of Audiobahn components I just put in my g/f's car sound great.

Guest mudbutt
Personally I would stray away from most class d, but that is my opinion. 400rms isnt really too much for a stock honda alt. My accord is still running on the stock alt from 90. My biggest setup was a soundstream class a 10.0(1000rms) on 3 10w3 @ .667ohm and an adcom 5275(75x2) running a jl 3 way component set. Now my carging system didnt really LIKE this setup,but I ran it for over 6 months. The smallest I have had in the car in the almost 4 years I have owned it is 50x4 run as 200x1 and 50x2. most of my setups have consisted of atleast 400rms to the sub(s) without a hitch.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by copperhead:

rockford electronics > audiobahn electronics

and a 400 watt amp for that price definately isn't bad. About the only power problem you will ever notice would be the headlights dimming when the bass hits. No big deal.

sparkomatic>rockford electronics post the solid black amps.

In all seriousness rf arent too bad if you dont beat them. The 400wrms amp on a single 12 should be fine...... Ill probably be grilled for this but Autotek is a damn near bulletproof amp and great for the money. I wouldnt build an SQ setup with them but I would deffinatly use one to run a sub(S). I sold them for a year and saw ONE that was bad and it was about 6 years old and looked like it had been through a war.

Guest badmuthrfkr

Autotek isn't bad, neither are some of the Cadence amps.

As for RF, their old waffle style maps were the shit. Then when they started to deal with Best Buy, things went down hill. Heck if you ever looked, the same amp sold at an actual car audio store compared to Best Buy is better.

For instance, the model # 260.2, you'd see tat at the car audio shop, you'd see 260II at BB. That is so they know when they come in for warranty work. From what I hear, they designated them that way because they had cheaper components/circuitry inside the BB versions.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Chinese Gangster:

Autotek isn't bad, neither are some of the Cadence amps.

As for RF, their old waffle style maps were the shit. Then when they started to deal with Best Buy, things went down hill. Heck if you ever looked, the same amp sold at an actual car audio store compared to Best Buy is better.

For instance, the model # 260.2, you'd see tat at the car audio shop, you'd see 260II at BB. That is so they know when they come in for warranty work. From what I hear, they designated them that way because they had cheaper components/circuitry inside the BB versions.

even the .2 stuff was dog shit. When I worked at soundwaves I saw about 50% of them come back. Only rivaled by orion which had about a 75% failure rate. I do believe they have gotten better. We picked them back up about 3 months before I left and I didnt really see any come back.

Originally posted by copperhead:

rockford electronics > audiobahn electronics

Do you have anything to back that up?? I've known the newer Rockford stuff has went downhill, at least from what I've seen/heard. Just because a company has a big name doesn't mean they make a good product. I mean, Jenson has a big name..............

Guest badmuthrfkr
Originally posted by Tulo:

Can you guys help me find a wiring kit on ebay? I'm not really sure what to look for. What gauge do I need, 8? Thanks. -JP

I have a Streetwires 4 gauge kit here. Everything but the RCAs. If you need it asap, I can sell it to you.

Otherwise, Lisa offers many kits. She is great to deal with, I have bought a lot of stuff from her.

http://stores.ebay.com/hifisoundconnectioncaraudio/plistings/list/all/dept5/index.html?dir=1&col=4&sotimedisplay=2

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Tulo:

For $20 more, I can get the 450wrms 451s. Would that be bad for the sub?

More power is never a bad thing. Like joe said, it is distortion, usually from not enough power that blows shit up.

I'd personally go w/ the 4 gauge. I went way overkill on mine with 0 gauge, but that was back when I was going to run my class A Audio Art 100HC, before I got my Memphis 1000D I put in there instead (plus it powers my 4-channel Eclipse and my bottle heater).

Something I have that I haven't seen to often is RCA's w/ the remote wire built into them. Buddy of mine sold me an extra set of his; American Bass RCA's, and the remote wire is run between the two RCA cables. One less wire to run, and is pretty convienent. I personally just pieced mine together, though I suppose a kit would probably be cheaper. Also, many brands are relabled versions of other brands. I know there are at least 2 other brands that are relabled Street Wires stuff, but significantly cheaper (can't recall the brands anymore, lol, it's been a while).

Guest badmuthrfkr

His distance isn't really too far in an Integra from the battery to the trunk. But I always run 4ga. as well in all of my setups.

As for the RCAs with remote wire built in, Stinger used to offer them back in the day, I'm sure they still do now, but they will cost more than what he is looking to spend, and just for the RCAs.