Fuel pressure regulator opinions?

SupraGlue

From what I have seen Paxton = Aeromotive = SX if you are going with one of the common types. The only difference I have found with the three are the colors. The Aeromotive is red, the Paxton is blue, and the SX is black and red. The Aeromotive is on the VR4 and has worked fine so far. Here is a pic:

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/160000-160999/160293_112_full.jpg

I like this style because you can mount a gauge directly to it and it is easy to adjust. Also you have two ports for inputs, and one port for a return. So I have a line coming from each fuel rail to opposite sides of the regulator, the return comes out the bottom, which wasn't hooked up yet in this pic.

Some of the HKS ones I have seen are basically just a stock regulator modified with an adjustment screw sticking out of it somewhere. Whether that is good or not depends on what your needs are.

Mark, If you want an aeromotive, talk to corey, he has one sitting at his house with a VDO gauge on it...Its the same one that is in that picture.

I have only heard good things about aeromotive...

[ 19 September 2002, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: rl ]

fill me in.. maybe im missing something.... but where else would you mount a FPR? i mean besides the obvious ziptie to something.... isnt that what the mounting plate and screws are for...? not trying to sound like a smart ass.. but maybe im in the dark here

Originally posted by JustOneEggBeater:

I wouldn't know anything about :cough: FPR's :cough: -- SX is popular with the dorito peeps.

Do the poopra's use a 1:1 RRFPR as well?

K

Not sure what a "poopra" is :confused: , but most jellybean jockeys run a 1:1 rising rate like you do. A few rebels and miscreants have tried to tune with adjustable rate FMU's, but it is generally frowned upon, sneered at, and treated with the typical snobby contempt that one would expect in the MKIV world. tongue.gif

[ 19 September 2002, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Stolen UFO ]

I was talking about NHRA rules (it MIGHT apply to SCCA also, but not sure). No fuel components can be mounted on the firewall. Anyways, that doesnt apply to you, but its in place for safteys sake. I guess incase it leaks into the driving compartment/interior (through a grommet or something)and catches fire. Stoooopid safety regulations :rolleyes:;)

I always mounted mine on the shock tower or inner fender.

[ 20 September 2002, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Blupastu TSi ]

Originally posted by Stolen UFO:

Between Paxton, SX, HKS and Aeromotive, does anyone have good/bad experiences with any of these? Given that poorly regulated fuel pressure can ruin your day and all...

Mark,

After taking a couple apart, the SX looks pretty sturdy. I have never seen a HKS or Paxton, but the Aeromotive and SX look the same from the inside.

Be careful with the fittings. We've found that running a -10AN male to -6ANmale on the sides ends up bottoming out and cutting off/slowing down fuel return. Had to get crazy with a dremel and an AN fitting, once! ;)

BTW, here is a pic of the Paxton FPR that I had bought a while back for my old car, but never used: http://images.cardomain.com/installs/160000-160999/160293_113_full.jpg

The only main differences between it and the Aeromotive you see in the other pic is the vacuum fitting being on the opposite side, and the color. I believe that I read somewhere that Aeromotive actually made the regulators for Paxton and SX. Which is why Jegs was no longer going to carry the Paxton units, since they were the same as the Aeromotive anyway.

And what Tony said about the fittings is correct. The tapered end of the fitting does need to be cut off for it to work right. The port for the fuel to flow in the FPR is near the top of the hole, and the longer fitting will block it off. A hack saw and steady hand will do the trick as well. You will need O-rings for the fittings to seat properly on the FPR also.

[ 21 September 2002, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Renner ]