question about my brakes...

Guest JCulls

i have a 96 mits 3000gt and my BRAKE light keeps coming on when im not using the ebrake. also, when i brake real hard the steering wheel shakes... i had this problem like last sept. and i went in to Roby (this is before i figured they like to rip people off!) and i had my front rotors replaced. i was jw if anybody knew what the problem could be or where i can take it to figure out whats goin on besides Roby!

Guest riggs867

The steering wheel shake is most likely caused by warped front rotors.

The brake light could be caused by a lot of things. It could be anything from low brake fluid to something wrong in the ABS.

i noticed it says you live in dublin or i would have invited you to the shop, and i could have checked em out and done the brakes for you....

some advice would be to get new rotors AND pads... never get one or the other, for the brake light check your fluid level if it needs some add some, when the car is in the shop for brakes have them hook up the scan tool and check the abs light if it still hasnt gone off after adding fluid.

Im actually on campus now...where is ur shop bennyboy? yeah when i got the new rotors they replaced the front brake pads also. they said my rear pads were at 60% and the back rotors were in "proper condition" i dont have ABS so that cant be what the light is...a friend checked the fluid level and said it was ok also but i havent looked myself...i have no clue about the ebrake cable being loose? how would i check that? should i take it back into Roby and see whats going on cuz if the vibration is def. the rotors, they shouldnt be warped already...

Guest White Horse

this def belongs in tech...

about the brakes, rotors can cause shimmy... uneven brakeline pressure can cause light to come on and pulling to one side when braking... (usually caused by blocked/collapsed lines.)

number of things can cause light to come on.

Worn break pads will cause the brake fluid level to drop, making the brake light flicker off and on. The caliper piston has to travel further away from the caliper body because of the thinner pads to make contact with the rotor, so the fluid drops. The shaking is caused from warped rotors. Did you have the rotors replaced or resurfaced?

take 670 east to 270 south to the broadstreet newark exit. head that way till you come to a BP take a left (onto reynoldsburg new albany rd) keep going straight till you cross some rail road tracks... look to your left right after.... Its Berberich Automotive, Im there 3pm-6pm weekdays my dad John is there 9am-6pm weekdays closed weekends. (614) 864-8215 Johns the man to talk to