Gave it one last shot...

Well with the complete demolision of the Oldsmobile I pretty much gave up hope, but then one day I decided hell I might as well see if I can tinker around with it a bit and at least attempt to fix it, so I go out and try to start it at first to see if by some 1 in a million chance it will start, but I noticed a very strong gas smell so a few of my friends were over and we popped the hood, and I had another one of my friends get in and attempt to start the car, what seems to happen is that the car won't turn over... it's almost as though it gets stuck and then when he tried again I finaly noticed that gas was pouring out of the air filter, so I was immediatly thinking oh shit, so I took off the air filter and gas just dumped out of it the air filter was drenched in gas. I have no idea as to why gas would be coming out of my air filter (Keep in mind I'm not very good with car mechanics... well frankly I suck horribly) so I've decided yes... once again that this car isn't worth all the time and pain that I put into it, so now it's just sitting in my driveway, does anybody have any idea why gas would come pouring out of the air filter? And I mean it was rushing out, not like little drips but a steady stream. TIA

-David

Guest Pimpin' the Jag
I'm not sure about the 3.3L, is there an injector in the throttle body or is it port injected? I suppose it's possible that you loaded it up so much it's coming back up through the intake. Where do you live at maybe we could look at it. You could TRY and clean all the gas up you can w/ parts cleaner and then try cranking it w/ the pedal floored if you haven't already. That will shot off the injectors on start up. Have you checked for spark?

Guest White Horse

holy shit man... thats a new one on me..

It must have a throttle body injector.. cant think of any other way to get that much gas all the way up there...

I would say bad injector/leak at throttlebody

OR

fuel pressure is astronomical, change fp regulator

damn man, good luck

Guest nevarmore
Pull the fuse to your fuel pump. Try to start it and burn off the built up fuel. Before and after doing this clean up any fuel you can get to with a shop vac and/or rags, for safety.

as far as why that car will not turn over, chances are that either the motor is froze up from all the gas thinning old the oil, or there is so much gas in the cylinders that it's hydralocking. Gas, like all other liquids, can not be compressed. and it there is a large amount in the cylinders then the motor can't turn over bacause the gas is stopping the pistons from coming up. While this sounds really odd, try taking the spark plugs out of the motor and turning it over, but make sure that you ground the plugs or if I am right you counld end up pumping a bunch of gas out only to have it ignite and turn your car into a really hot ride, litterally. But taht is worth a try.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Desperado:

make sure that you ground the plugs or if I am right you counld end up pumping a bunch of gas out only to have it ignite and turn your car into a really hot ride, litterally. But taht is worth a try.

By ground the plugs, you mean make sure the electrode (the bit with the ceramic around it) is in contact with the block NOT the threads or the tab, which when grounded will make it spark.

OTOH, if you have fire coverage on the car or via homeowners insurance, let it burn.

Guest BlackS14

DANGER! DANGER!

DO NOT pull the plugs and crank the motor if the cylinders may be full of gas!

Remove the plugs altogether.

Put a breaker bar and appropriate socket on the crank pulley and manually "crank" the motor.

This will eliminate any potential ignition sources for the gasoline that may be spraying about the engine compartment.

PS> this "remove plugs and crank" technique is an old four-wheelers trick for getting water out of your cylinders after you play submarine.

It must be *slightly* modified for safety when you're dealing with gas.