Old school guys: How much HP?

20G TSi

72 for the most part was the year compresson dropped.

I'd look, but looks like Sam has it covered.

I'd guess 300-360?

Probably mass tq. It's a big block.

[ 17 June 2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: kenny ]

Well I dynoed yesturday and I have a 350 Rocket in mine and I got 207 horse and 256 torque. But I don't think they made a 455 Rocket, because I know they made a 442 and a 350, but I may be wrong. But if it is stock I would think it would make around 300 horse.

well dude, hate to brake it to ya, but it will likely be a daaaaaawwg even with the 455. I've heard what they make, but i forgot, some where around...390 sounds right. I know a guy to ask, he might be out to the spot tonight, his entire family has raced Old's for decades.

lol... I'm picking it up for 200 bones, so even if it IS a dog, thats o.k. I wasnt expecting a 10second 1972 Olds 98 (LMAO!).

Have you ever seen one? They're about 17' long and probably weights in over 4500lbs.

Originally posted by 350 Rocket:

Well I dynoed yesturday and I have a 350 Rocket in mine and I got 207 horse and 256 torque. But I don't think they made a 455 Rocket, because I know they made a 442 and a 350, but I may be wrong. But if it is stock I would think it would make around 300 horse.

I didnt realize you were on the board. I have some pics of your car I'll try to post later smile.gif

Yeah my sister is on here to she had the mustang 5.0 that was sitting next to me. :D Yeah those car's are really big but i am a big guy so I need a little more room then some of these new car's offer.

Guest 1bad66duece
a 72 was the start of the lo-po motors with smog and low comp,they were overated hp wise,it was rated at about 300 hp,but a 70-71 engine was much stronger with much better flowing heads.

Originally posted by 1bad66duece:

a 72 was the start of the lo-po motors with smog and low comp,they were overated hp wise,it was rated at about 300 hp,but a 70-71 engine was much stronger with much better flowing heads.

Really? hmmm... the owner said this car doesnt have a smog pump, and this guy at work said they didnt start that until '73.

Its possible someone took the smog pump off though, its a one owner with 68k original miles so its kind of doubtful. The guy I'm buying it from is a complete idiot also, so it could be there. Any idea's on how much the pre-emissions 455's made?

I think its a good buy for $200 even though its a land yaht.

Guest 1bad66duece
$200 for a 455 olds is a great buy,some even have daul exhaust manifolds that are worth more than you paid,even if it doesn`t have a smog pump ,the compression ratio was less in 72,valve sizes were smaller and even if its rated at the same hp as a 70-71 dont belive it,the horsepower in all american made cars fell way off from 70 to 72.when you talk to most "muscle car" guys they consider 64-71 the years of the muscle cars,but they still made "ss" and "gt" ect after 71,they are worth way less,and were not as powerful thanks to insurance company`s.

Guest Ubilam
72 was the first year for the small valve, low compression motors, expect about 290-300 h.p. and about 440 to 450 trq, if you want to make serious power you need to get in touch with Joe Mondello, he is the Olds guru.

According to my Chilton book for my Cutlass,

there were four versions of the 455 (at least for the Cutlass) in 72.

455(4bb)= 225 horsepower@3600 rmps 360 ft torque@2600 rmps.

455(4bb)= 250 horsepower@4200 rmps 370 ft torque@2800 rmps.

455(4bb)= 270 horsepower@4400 rmps 370 ft torque@3200 rmps.

455 W-30(4bb)= 300 horsepower@4700 rmps 410 ft torque@3200 rmps.

For $200, I would buy it.

[ 19 June 2002, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Just a Cruiser ]

Originally posted by BlackBird:

well dude, hate to brake it to ya, but it will likely be a daaaaaawwg even with the 455. I've heard what they make, but i forgot, some where around...390 sounds right. I know a guy to ask, he might be out to the spot tonight, his entire family has raced Old's for decades.

390 is a dog? I was guessing less than 300hp and 350-400 torque

Thanks again for the info, I'll be trailering the bad boy home today from the dayton area today. Should make for a fun trip. :rolleyes:

On a side note, I'm now looking for a early G-Body with the 307ci V8. If anyone knows where to get one cheap, pls let me know ;)

Thanks again,

Jason

Guest General
I was recently reading an old issue of Car Craft, they didn't list the horsepower of their 455, but it did run a 14.6. Not bad for a 4,000 pound car with only 8.5:1 comp.