POLL: Least reliable performance car

SupraGlue

I had to go with the MKIII due to my experiences with a blown head gasket and running 1 bar of boost. :D And that was my only mod other than having no cats. The head gasket problem is VERY common with the MKIII Supra. Because almost every turbo MKIII blows the stock HG eventually.

RX-7.

It's simple, they're sweet cars, just not reliable. Sure, you can make reliable horsepower, but not a lot.

Also, flying apex seals out the exhaust isn't exactly good for a turbo. My turbo cost over a grand, I'd like to get the maximum life out of it.

meant to put 'stang, not 'stand

and offhand, i can think of 1yearprobation (formerly moreticketsthancr) and reckless op

reckless op's car has 14,xxx miles on the odo, and he's got some nasty vibrations going on.

1yearprobation thinks he needs a rearend

Those are the only two people on here that i have met personally that own mustangs, and they both have driveline problems

Guest sphen02
i definately would have put down the mkiii supra had the turbo rx-7 not been on there...it definately comes in a close second..the fact that you can run very little more than stock boost before blowing the head gasket is just ridiculous...BUT...after replacing the head gasket they do alright from what ive heard...i have nothing really to back that up other than hear say tho

Originally posted by copperhead:

meant to put 'stang, not 'stand

and offhand, i can think of 1yearprobation (formerly moreticketsthancr) and reckless op

reckless op's car has 14,xxx miles on the odo, and he's got some nasty vibrations going on.

1yearprobation thinks he needs a rearend

Those are the only two people on here that i have met personally that own mustangs, and they both have driveline problems

The ford 8.8 rear is almost as strong as the 9" ford rear.... And reckless op's car could very well have problems elsewhere... like an unbalanced wheel/tire. Transmissions dont usually "vibrate".

Originally posted by clutchless wonder:

i definately would have put down the mkiii supra had the turbo rx-7 not been on there...it definately comes in a close second..the fact that you can run very little more than stock boost before blowing the head gasket is just ridiculous...BUT...after replacing the head gasket they do alright from what ive heard...i have nothing really to back that up other than hear say tho

The MKIII blows head gaskets on stock boost, even. Heck, the N/A MKIII blows head gaskets sometimes.

Originally posted by Jasons TSi:

The ford 8.8 rear is almost as strong as the 9" ford rear.... And reckless op's car could very well have problems elsewhere... like an unbalanced wheel/tire. Transmissions dont usually "vibrate".

makes a strange clunking when going into gears, too. Once it's in gear it doesn't seem to bad. He could elaborate better on the problem than I could.

oh wait, he did

reckless ops' problem

as did 1yearprobation

1yearprobation's problem

and lastly, i know it's not a mustang, but doesn't a crown vic have the same engine and driveline as a mustang?

BC's crown vic tranny woes

all three of those links have come from the last two pages of the TECH section, so they are fairly recent (within the last few weeks).

I don't care how anyone says a ford 8.8 is ALMOST as strong as a 9", it's still a ferd, and its still gonna BREAK

Guest Foxstang133617
i have run t-5s, 3650s, and 8.8s, i beat the hell out of all of them and never had the smallest problem. Many of my friends run stock parts with big power and they also have never broken a thing

Thanks Mark, Who did you think everyone was going

to vote for. tongue.gif Even though most don't even know

what there talking about. They have either heard

bad things or maybe even know some one who has

blowen a seal. Don't mean everybody's does. Oh

well. tongue.gif

Originally posted by RotaryHead:

well. tongue.gif

Lol, you blew a seal toooo, just not the apex one. tongue.gif How's that car doing, did you find out it was that seal that commonly goes bad, the coolant one? :confused: and are you rebuilding that engine over the winter?

Hey, but the car still runs. And it dynode at

240rwhp. Plus I happened too buy the car with

the motor in that condition. But anyways, yeah

It’s apart right now, with many others that I'm

working on for the next racing season. And

saving up money still. To put it back together.

I'm also building a rx7 race car for ITS

(Improved touring). Can't wait too get it

together. This season should be a blast. I got

some friends that race in the same class. You

guys should come out to a race some time this

year. Do some camping at Mid-Ohio and little

bit of parting too. ;)

Originally posted by RotaryHead:

well. tongue.gif

Actually, Joneze was talking smack on AIM and I was hoping people would vote for the DSM. tongue.gif

I agree that people who know what they're doing don't seem to break their rotaries. Oh, well. smile.gif

Originally posted by copperhead:

how many 'stand owners on here are currently in need of tranny or rear end work?

I know RL was breaking half shafts left and right, Dyno Brian went through about 2-3 trannies and PonyPimptress went through at least one this year.