Mustang 5.0 Help

KlubFoot

Ok... ive been an import guy for about 3 years. Ive had a 90 CRX Si w/ JDM b16a2, 95 Eclipse GSX and a 95 Talon TSi AWD. Well recently my dad decided to sell his 93 Mustang GT and I've decided to sell my Talon to get the Mustang... the car has a few little mods, H-Pipe, flowmaster catback, bbk cai, short shifter and some shorty headers. My question to you guys is, what is the basic upgrade path with the 5.0's? I was thinking about trying to fabricate my own TT set-up later on in the future, but untill then I want a little extra kick in the pants without spray. Where should I go from where I'm at? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

If you want power and don't want to go with a blower/spray right now, you can go two ways.

1. Basic bolt'ons. Throttle Body, Mass Air Meter, Injectors. Biggest thing I would do is a 3.73 gear... that would wake the car up big time.

With all the basic bolton's, I don't think you'd see much more than 240-50 rwhp. That might be generous.

2. If you are more serious, do heads/cam. Trickflow twisted wedge heads, trickflow upper/lower intake, E-cam. Or you could do Ford parts...GT40X Alum. heads, Cobra Upper/lower intake. The possibilities/combos are endless. Check out an issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.

With number 2, depending on heads/intake/cam, you could be looking at 280-340? rwhp.

After that, you could go with powerdyne/paxton blower and be looking at 450+ hp, again, depending on heads/cam and amount of boost.

Course, I could completely wrong on those numbers...hopefully RL will chime in with his 302 experience.

Good luck with the change in markets :D

:cool:

I would change gears first, that will help a lot. Then I would probably swap the factory intake with a TFS street heat, Edelbrock Performer RPM, or the Ford Motorsport cobra intake. Next I would probably go for the came swap, then a mass air meter and maybe injectors. You can probably get away with stock injectors.

Guest White Horse

Unless you wanna drop an assload of money into just the block and heads, you better blow it or spray it to 400. Easier and probably cheaper.

You still didn't say how much you want to spend.

And isn't rigsby running twin hairdryers? Nice...

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

My goals for the car is mid to upper 400's in the HP and TQ figures and to run high 11's on drag radials and full interior. Pretty much... i'm lookin to become Brian Rigsby, if that helps any.

That may run into a little bit of money but it can be done with the right parts. Sorry I can not help you that much, I am into building blower combos. I know someone that probably could help you out though, considering he has a 10sec. mustang with just a 347 with some goodies. :D

The do heads/stock cam/intake and a turbo.

Something like mildly ported AFR 165's, a performer intake and fabricate a single turbo setup(like a 62-1). For fuel system just get a 255lph hp pump, 42# injectors and a pro-m univer meter (assuming that you are going to run an intercooler, and be somewhat forced into running a blowthrough due to that. You could run a draw-through but with 4' of intake pipe the delay of reading could cause idle issues that couldn't be tuned out. You cant tune out hardware issues.) Then a dynotune.

The stock shortblock will be on the edge, but with a good tune it should be safe (for a while anyway). Same with the rest of the driveline, the T5 will eat itself, so will the rear end.

You do have a million other options, however that is the route I would take.