Blow thru MAF vs. Draw thru MAF????

Boost-n-Juice

umm, are you basicaly asking where to put the power adder? I'd think it best to have the turbos blow through the MAF then intot he engine, rather then suck air through it. That way, the MAF accuratly reads the temp of the air actualy going intot he engine. But maybe its not as vital on you EEC-IV cars.

My car, DSM's, Supras, and Stealth's/VR4's use a MAF before the turbo, so it is a pull through design. I can't think of any factory forced induction cars off hand that used a blow through MAF.

If budget allows, convert the car to speed-density, so you don't have to worry about a MAF at all, since it is an intake restriction. smile.gif You will have less problems with a BOV vented to atmosphere with a speed-density car as well.

Originally posted by Renner:

My car, DSM's, Supras, and Stealth's/VR4's use a MAF before the turbo, so it is a pull through design. I can't think of any factory forced induction cars off hand that used a blow through MAF.

If budget allows, convert the car to speed-density, so you don't have to worry about a MAF at all, since it is an intake restriction. smile.gif You will have less problems with a BOV vented to atmosphere with a speed-density car as well.

i've noticed that about mustangs... why is everyone with mustangs so obsessed with MAF systems? what's with all the conversion kits for early cars? i like speed density setups myself. mass air meters are hideously expensive, and fragile to boot... sure, MAF systems seem to handle modifications better without computer changes, but everyone seems to have aftermarket chips anyways...

i don't get it...

MAF = Dynamic Fuel Control (fuel maps) - Fuel is added or subtracted on the basis of airflow past the sensor. thus, much more airflow can be added, since the system is dependent on the amount of flow past the sensor, and the fuel maps can be adjusted based on the airflow.

SD = Static Fuel Control (fuel maps) - fuel is added or subtracted based on TPS and manifold pressure. the amount of fuel added is directly related to a fuel map stored on the ECU's EPROM (its a bit more complicated than that, since there are a multitude of sensors, and the fuel map is adjusted based on the input from these sensors, but you get the idea). thus, with speed density, if you begin adding airflow, the computer does not know. it just knows that the manifold pressure is X. This is why adding a cam or heads creates a lean condition.

If there were an interface between the Speed Density EPROM and a laptop, where the fuel could be added/subtracted based on needs, THAT would be the idea setup. Speed density absolutely DOES have the same flexibility as MAF, it just takes an outside source (laptop/eprom utility) to adjust the fuel maps.

Originally posted by Jasons TSi:

MAF = Dynamic Fuel Control (fuel maps) - Fuel is added or subtracted on the basis of airflow past the sensor. thus, much more airflow can be added, since the system is dependent on the amount of flow past the sensor, and the fuel maps can be adjusted based on the airflow.

SD = Static Fuel Control (fuel maps) - fuel is added or subtracted based on TPS and manifold pressure. the amount of fuel added is directly related to a fuel map stored on the ECU's EPROM (its a bit more complicated than that, since there are a multitude of sensors, and the fuel map is adjusted based on the input from these sensors, but you get the idea). thus, with speed density, if you begin adding airflow, the computer does not know. it just knows that the manifold pressure is X. This is why adding a cam or heads creates a lean condition.

If there were an interface between the Speed Density EPROM and a laptop, where the fuel could be added/subtracted based on needs, THAT would be the idea setup. Speed density absolutely DOES have the same flexibility as MAF, it just takes an outside source (laptop/eprom utility) to adjust the fuel maps.

Well I'm at least one person you informed! smile.gif

Originally posted by Jasons TSi:

How you consider thoes two equally flexable when you need a laptop (or someting extra) to tune one at all and the other has some self tuning just baffels me. :confused:

That's like saying one girl is just as flexable as the other...if the less flexable girl would study yoga for a year. tongue.gif

[ 14 November 2002, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Mad Jack Bonney The Crazy Pirate ]

I'd like to know if MAF sensors are really "designed" to be blown through or sucked through, or if it is just simply a matter of placement.

For example; my roomate's 96 SS of course came from the factory N/A. He added a twin intercooled ATI D1SC Procharger. ATI, if you install it in their "instructed way" has you splice the wires to the MAF sensor to lengthen them and put it under the car, right after the air filter. That would be the suck method. :D

But, a lot of people put it after the intercoolers, right before the intake manifold. That is what he did; took about $10 in parts to convert it, with much easier access to the MAF sensor and no wire splicing. His car runs perfectly fine under this setup as well. Perhaps some MAF sensors are more sensitive to this than others???