header coatings

Dave1647545494

well new motor will be in the skylark pretty soon the headers I have were painted then repainted then painted again see what I'm getting at here it keeps burning off is there someplace close by that I can get my headers coated with something more durable in the 100-150 dollar range TIA

My headers were coated by Jet-Hot.

Honestly, I'm not too pleased with them at all. Luckily, they have a 10 year warranty, so whenever I pull the motor, I'll send the headers back in.

The problems:

- They car in a "sterling finish" which almost looked chrome....they looked freaking AWSOME. That lasted about a week. :rolleyes: Not they are gray.

- RUST. The whole idea of coated is to prevent rust and keep engine bay temps down. I have long tube headers, so the collectors go under the car. All along the collectors, they are full of surface rust. They started rusting after a month. There is even a tiny bit of rust forming around where the primaries meet the header flange. The "Hooker Super Comp" tag also has a little rust on it.

Overall, I don't know if I can really suggest them or not. I'd like to see how my headers are after they get re-coated, to see if they last this time. I sure hope they do!!

The best ceramic coating materials in terms of resisting heat are satin black in color. (It has nothing to do with the color, but the chemical composition) All of the coating places are generally using the same sets of chemicals, btw.

I'm probably going to get some over the winter and see how it works. If I can find a link to the stuff I was looking at, I'll post it.

http://www.devoecoatings.com/pdfs/712s.pdf

how hot do headers get? this stuff is good to 1200 degrees with full on usefullness to 1000 degrees I have an account with an ICI Devoe dealer if this stuff will work I'll pick up a quart and try it its a silver or aluminum color and cannot be tinted let me know what you think

Originally posted by Stolen UFO:

My research has only been for a turbo car, but a 1600F coating would be borderline for me. The stuff I was looking at is rated to 2000F, and is a thermal barrier.

Mark, keep me updated please. There is a certain 4 door V6 that will need it's headers coated this winter and requires the same degree coating that you are looking into. (Damn M90!) smile.gif:cool: