it wont start

Brandon

ok my 93 nissan sentra se-r will not start. It turns over but wont start. so i tried to jump it nope didnt help, took the main plug that connects to the ignition coil off and grounded it then turned it over and it sparked the crap out of me, so its not ignition coil. then i disconnected the fuel line, and turned it on and it sprayed every where. so i took out the fuel relay smelled it, for burnt electricals, and it smelled fine. So now it is just sitting in the garage. i am really not sure what to try next, the car turns over it just cant start, like trying to get up a hill and stopping right before the top. any advice guys or does this need to go to a shop, and could it be flooded(which i doubt but hey) thanks

-brandon

you have an engine that will cran with a no start right?

does it catch at all like it wants to startbut doesn't?

you could have a bad cap /rotor/wires or a slipped timing chain/belt how long has it been scince the car had a tune up could be bad gas too I would look at that stuff first you could also hav ea bad neutral saftey switch alot of cars will crank but not start if it goes out.

HTH

okay the cap, rotor, fuel filter, plugs, and wires, all have under 10k on them, and when i took the distributor cap off, the rotor spun, so the timing chain i dont think would have slipped off, but what other belt should i look for then? and as for the bad gas thing that is possiable, it will crank and it trys to start then almost gets there and then fails, and how do i check the neutral safty switch? and i will pull the plugs and see if any are covered in gas. and as far as the cam angle sensor thing where the heck is that? thanks for the help guys

-brandon

okay i pulled the plugs and none were wet, bt they smelled like gas on the end so i flooded it sometime along the line, then i also kno how to overcome that, arent you saposed to hold the gas to the floor? any ways i am leaning towards timing now i think

I didn't say the timing belt /chain fell off but it could have jumped or slipped throwing the timing off. just because an ignition part has low miles dosn't make it good. make sure the wires aren't arcing and that the cap isn't carbon tracked (black stuff inside) look for burn marks on the rotor. try adding some water remover to your gas. if its almost starting but not quite it could be timing buts its more than likely just bad gas do you remeber where you filled up last?

I just went through this with my commuter car, just because the plegs seem to be getting gas, they might not be getting enough. Be sure to test your sensors as well. Mine ended up being the fuel pump. I just hit it with a hammer and it started working again!

dave i think your righ thte belt might have sliped throwing off the timeing, other wise it could be bad gas, i believe the last place i got gas was the shell on polaris. and as for the rotor it had a little carbon on it but nothing bad, normal, and the plugs, looked pretty normal. what can you had to your gas to remove water? and i think i might have to get a tech out to the house or the car to the shop, if its timing. and chris the cai had gone thorugh some down pours and i drove it sunday from work at 4, then tryed to start it on monday at 6, and it worked fine the day before, and i dont think it was raining, but i thought about hydro lock.

stp makes a product called water remover comes in a yellow pint bottle availiable for sure at advance and most likely zone napa and pepboys too if that doesn't help the only thing to do is get everything setup and check the timing marks to see if they line up.