Break in Period

thorne

So I've read conflicting statements regarding break in period. Hinds told me to ride it for the first 2hours below 6k. I read you need to wait to 500 miles on one site and 100 on another. So whats the deal. The tires are not just starting to not be slick. I really would like to feel the top end But I also don't want to damage my bike

148 Miles on her So far and lovin it.

I ride the bike below 9k until I get to 100 miles. Once I get 100, I rip the shit out of it. I've owned several....I mean several new bikes and they all ran like "Smarty Jones" did. Break it in the way you want it to run.

I ride the bike below 9k until I get to 100 miles. Once I get 100, I rip the shit out of it. I've owned several....I mean several new bikes and they all ran like "Smarty Jones" did. Break it in the way you want it to run.

+1 :bow:

I like you PUTTY! I've never read anything you post that I haven't agreed with. :cheers:

I do change the oil the 1st 100, then 500, then 1000. Then same intervals after that, about every 3,000 or 3 months. At 2,000 or 3,000miles I go synthetic too.

goddamn dude, 150 miles since yesterday at 1pm or so? Fuck me and call me susie! I'll be honest dude, I don't think I've had my bike over 6k, maybe not even 5500rpms, lol. The quick bursts from like 3-5k and like 40-60ish is enough to put a stupid grin on my face for right now, but then again my biike redlines at 9or10k, what does yours redline at? How fast are those bikes, is it faster than mine? We should run in a few weeks, :D

goddamn dude, 150 miles since yesterday at 1pm or so? Fuck me and call me susie! I'll be honest dude, I don't think I've had my bike over 6k, maybe not even 5500rpms, lol. The quick bursts from like 3-5k and like 40-60ish is enough to put a stupid grin on my face for right now, but then again my biike redlines at 9or10k, what does yours redline at? How fast are those bikes, is it faster than mine? We should run in a few weeks, :D

No clue. fast enough to walk a c5 on the way to work. I hit 9K for the first time tonight...

I'm sure your bikes way faster. But I'm not about whos nuts the biggest. I prefer to ride and have a good time. but the occasional burst of speed is fun too. I'm at 160Miles now btw. I went out went all the way around 270. 315 70 and a few other areas just having fun man. If you want to go riding tommrow night I'm going out around 6:30/7pm. I'm looking to hit old 315.

Yeah definitely man, I think I posted in your other thread that me and antoher guy and possible others are planning on riding tomorrow around 7pm for sure. I'm planning on bringing my bike home tomorrow from the plant, just gotta pick up my cover first. Where is old 315? Is that just north of where the hwy ends? Call me tomorrow sometime so we can plan something, I don't care about who's faster, I know my nuts are bigger anyways, lol, it was just a question. But I agree, I just like being out there, its an awesome feeling.

I may vant to ride too! Give me a shout Matt!! :banana: ... I love that damn banana!

You fucking sig seriously made me spit pop out of my mouth when i relized that it was. Thanks for making me clean my damn desk. Ohioriders seems like a nice little community. CR getting way to cranky lately.

Are there many squids on here? I seen a fucking idiot today blow by me on on 70 he had to be going over 120 I was at around about 85ish and he looked like i was standing still. His brain bucket on the side of the bike and short sleaves and shorts. WTF.

Definitely will hit you up Kevin, not positive what time though.

And bill, I've seen some idiots while out riding/driving as well. The one that takes the cake was a few days ago on 315n, I was on 315n in my car doing 75ish in the middle lane, minding my own business, some douche on a crotchrocket flies by me, changes 3 lanes over to the right, and slams on the brakes while cutting somone off to make the bethel exit. While passing him I note the uber cool sandles, abercrombie shorts, tight hollister muscle shirt, and the dope aviator shades...His bike wasn't holding a helmet so I guess he was just too cheap to buy one, or a jacket/gloves/boots for that matter.....dumbass.

Definitely will hit you up Kevin, not positive what time though.

And bill, I've seen some idiots while out riding/driving as well. The one that takes the cake was a few days ago on 315n, I was on 315n in my car doing 75ish in the middle lane, minding my own business, some douche on a crotchrocket flies by me, changes 3 lanes over to the right, and slams on the brakes while cutting somone off to make the bethel exit. While passing him I note the uber cool sandles, abercrombie shorts, tight hollister muscle shirt, and the dope aviator shades...His bike wasn't holding a helmet so I guess he was just too cheap to buy one, or a jacket/gloves/boots for that matter.....dumbass.

I saw this and got scared that it was me driving erratically down 315 yesterday.. I didn't think I was riding crazy like that, but no one ever thinks they are. But, I always wear gear.

BTW. I'm definately down to ride 315 north with you guys if you want to hit me up.

Sweet man, I travel 315 daily, multiple times somedays. my cell is 614-595-5536, just give me a ring whenever, I'll be riding on and off tomorrow during the day, and then I'm free around 6pm and will be meeting up with some friends. Ben said people are meeting at fitzgeralds on bethel so we're starting around campus and making our way up north to stop by there. hope to see you out there.

I'm somewhat easy on it for the first 100 miles or so. I'll run it up to 6-7K in lower gears then let out of it, try to shift gears to vary the RPMs etc. After that I am less concerned. I don't redline the bike for a while, though. Mostly the break-in period for me is also a familiarization with the bike time. That may be part of the reason manufacturers recommend a 600 mile break-in.

One thing I do is change the oil around the 100 mile mark. The idea is to get the bad oil with tiny shavings in it out of the bike.

Put the correct weight, but cheap-ass dino oil in it, because you will be changing it at 600 miles also. I don't change the filter until 600 miles.

BTW, you don't necessarily need to buy motorcycle specific filters. Here is a cross-reference chart.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

I noticed you also posted on CR about the 600 mile service. I've never done it on my bikes - I grab the service manual and a torque wrench and check all the bolts for tightness, check fluids, change oil/filter etc. I know they claim there is a valve check involved on yours (my ZX-14 doesn't need that at 600 miles!), but I highly doubt that they do it, because checking valves would be around $200 by itself. ASK quoted me $250-300 for the 600 mile 'service', and, like I said, the ZX-14 doesn't needs valves checked. I'm not giving someone $300 to check fluids and tighten bolts. I'm really not even sure where that price comes from, because that whole process should take an hour or two, and there isn't much in the way of parts involved.

If someone on here has done a valve check before and you really want it done, we could all get together and do it one day. I even have a garage if you need a place. I'm curious to see it done.

I'm somewhat easy on it for the first 100 miles or so. I'll run it up to 6-7K in lower gears then let out of it, try to shift gears to vary the RPMs etc. After that I am less concerned. I don't redline the bike for a while, though. Mostly the break-in period for me is also a familiarization with the bike time. That may be part of the reason manufacturers recommend a 600 mile break-in.

One thing I do is change the oil around the 100 mile mark. The idea is to get the bad oil with tiny shavings in it out of the bike.

Put the correct weight, but cheap-ass dino oil in it, because you will be changing it at 600 miles also. I don't change the filter until 600 miles.

BTW, you don't necessarily need to buy motorcycle specific filters. Here is a cross-reference chart.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

I noticed you also posted on CR about the 600 mile service. I've never done it on my bikes - I grab the service manual and a torque wrench and check all the bolts for tightness, check fluids, change oil/filter etc. I know they claim there is a valve check involved on yours (my ZX-14 doesn't need that at 600 miles!), but I highly doubt that they do it, because checking valves would be around $200 by itself. ASK quoted me $250-300 for the 600 mile 'service', and, like I said, the ZX-14 doesn't needs valves checked. I'm not giving someone $300 to check fluids and tighten bolts. I'm really not even sure where that price comes from, because that whole process should take an hour or two, and there isn't much in the way of parts involved.

If someone on here has done a valve check before and you really want it done, we could all get together and do it one day. I even have a garage if you need a place. I'm curious to see it done.

Hmm if anyone is bored this weekend I'm gonna be doing a oilchange since i broke 150 miles last night and I could be at 300 this weekend.