broken wheel bolt

Guest infamous me 235

Guest infamous me 235
i was takin the rims off my car and one of the nuts got like stuck to the bolt and i ended up breaking the bolt. is it ok to drive with just three of the bolts on and how do i fix it?

If it's on your Civic, it's easy to replace. Take the wheel, brake caliper, and rotor off. Then take a hammer and pound out the stud. Take some big washers and the lugnut and tighten it so the stud gets pulled through. It's not very hard.

Originally posted by clm:

If it's on your Civic, it's easy to replace. Take the wheel, brake caliper, and rotor off. Then take a hammer and pound out the stud. Take some big washers and the lugnut and tighten it so the stud gets pulled through. It's not very hard.

word.

u can drive with 3, but i personally woulnd't trust it for long, 5 lug cars running on 4 studs is fine but 3 studs... hmm

Guest infamous me 235

where can i get a new one? call honda? i can hear and feel my wheel vibrating now, i thightened the 3 bolts, seemed to work... but i need to get this fixed...

hopefully my car just blows up so i can get a new one, but until then...

Originally posted by clm:

I agree, but I'd stick a lugnut on the end if you could so you have a little extra surface area to pound. Makes it a little harder to dick up your hammer too.

...Does "dick up your hammer" sound graemlins/fruit.gif ?

i'd go to honda to get one they aren't that expensive my mom's broke on her mitsubishi, and one form the dealer cost 2 bux. and ur sure its the right thread and length.

if u get a generic one from the autoparts store make sure its the same thread and all that so u can still use the same lug nuts.

if you need to get a new lug nut also keep in mind honda wheels are "ball seat" wheels which are different to most normal cars, the lugs are a little different at the base.(hence just go to the dealer)

Every time I have replaced studs on a car I just bought mine from advance auto parts. I always took in an extra lug just to double check that it fit. I quit buying parts from advance because they give me the wrong part 60% of the time but I have not had a problem with getting lug nut studs from them.