Ideas?

Guest DagoRcR

Guest DagoRcR

Alright.

I have a 02 Jetta (2.0 L engine), its the baltic green color.

I've had it since Nov and ive recently taking interest in making it not just a normal jetta. All ive done so far is gotten 18" AT Itallia Inox rims. And i know a jetta isn't a very commonly modded vechile, thats probably mostly why i want to do it.

Anyways. I was looking for ideas, or good tuners, or anything.

Just wondering if any of the more experienced fellas here would like to gimme some pointers

Guest Aislynn

Isn't a very commonly modded vehicle?!! graemlins/bsflag.gif

Go to any car show, veedub only or not, and you'll see lots of modded Jettas. I think one of the first mod's you should look into is changing the headlamps. Add eyebrows or go for the round Euro style lights like the veedubs used to have.

I modded my headlights this week. You got a problem with that Eric? tongue.gif

Anyway, Dago, you might want to spell out a little what kinds of things you're looking for. Better braking? Handling? Power? Cosmetics?

Almost any car can be modded anymore. People around here have certainly tried. lol

Originally posted by SupraGlue:

I modded my headlights this week. You got a problem with that Eric? tongue.gif

yeah, I do. Why dont you put money in something I can apriciate, the like in the rear of the car. Prefereable visible from long distances tongue.gif

oh, and to make this post pertinent to the thread:

jetta performance technologies

What are you looking to do? There are a number of things you can do the not-so-commonly modded jetta. If you give me some ideas on where you would like to improve performance I can help you out. Also not all jettas are slow. smile.gif It never hurts to dream.

http://www.schimmelperformance.com/images/full/pictures/DSCN4201%5B1%5D.jpg

Car has a best of 10.39@136mph and backed it up with a 10.4@133.

Originally posted by Aislynn:

Isn't a very commonly modded vehicle?!! graemlins/bsflag.gif

Go to any car show, veedub only or not, and you'll see lots of modded Jettas. I think one of the first mod's you should look into is changing the headlamps. Add eyebrows or go for the round Euro style lights like the veedubs used to have.

Do they make euro headlights and these 'eyebrows' for my car? :confused:

Guest BlackS14

Trade it in and get another Jetta that has a VR6 or 1.8T.

That 2.0 motor sucks ass. You realize it burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles (normal!).

If you decide to keep it, Neuspeed makes a Supercharger for it. But that will make the oil consumption problem worse.

Standard upgrade path:

1. Brakes (just new rotors, pads, lines. StopTech makes an upgrade, but it's a bit much for a street driver).

2. Handling (no coilovers -again overkill. Eibachs, KYBs and you're set. Replace Swaybars, as VW endlinks have been known to break).

3. Power (as mentioned earlier. That motor really is junk, we just got rid of the Mrs's '01 Jetta for that very reason).

Guest stevil
Originally posted by Aislynn:

I think one of the first mod's you should look into is changing the headlamps. Add eyebrows or go for the round Euro style lights like the veedubs used to have.

Add eyebrows?! wtf!?

Start with the basics. I'm sure you can get a cold air intake for it, and exhaust. If you want more power, you could turbo it, or get a nitrous kit. Maybe stay NA and have some engine work done.

Or you could play Mr. PotatoHead and stick on eyebrows, ears, lips, etc. graemlins/wtf.gif

Originally posted by BlackS14:

Trade it in and get another Jetta that has a VR6 or 1.8T.

That 2.0 motor sucks ass. You realize it burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles (normal!).

If you decide to keep it, Neuspeed makes a Supercharger for it. But that will make the oil consumption problem worse.

Standard upgrade path:

1. Brakes (just new rotors, pads, lines. StopTech makes an upgrade, but it's a bit much for a street driver).

2. Handling (no coilovers -again overkill. Eibachs, KYBs and you're set. Replace Swaybars, as VW endlinks have been known to break).

3. Power (as mentioned earlier. That motor really is junk, we just got rid of the Mrs's '01 Jetta for that very reason).

Never had any problem with my 2.slow burning oil so I don't know what you're talking about. Secondly the nospeed supercharger is the worst thing you could ever spend your money on. You can turbo a 2.0 slap two head gaskets on it and go 13s pretty simple and for less money than the supercharger costs. The 2.0 in factory trim is one of the most reliable and cheap motors you can buy to stick in your VW. Really before you turbo the 2.0 if its a new car you are better off selling it and spending the extra money to get a 1.8T a chip and an intercooler. Less money and faster car.

-jeff

Guest DagoRcR

Well guys, all of your help has been great...

for the most part it seems unlikely that ill sell this car for a 1.8t vr6 trade in.. yea i maybe stupid, but there are certian factors that are hindering me....

However. Is it possible to find a 1.8t engine to drop in... I know the 6 runs on a 6speed tranny so that mayb a little thougher, but the 1.8t dosen't....or does it?.

I guess atm im looking for a higher compress clutch... i cant stand that wussy feel, maybe a short thro shift? is that nuespeed 1 any good?. Brakes would be good, i was looking for some rotors too possibly... I have some 16' snow alloys that i put on during winter so i dont want some 13 in' rotors haha. Any body have pref on rotors? Brembo, ect..?

I was looking into some headlight conversions... that would be cool, you guys know of any imparticular.

I've seen alot of exhausts, but i prefer to not sound like a bumble bee coming down the road, Gun metal is best look. by me. I know you can get soem with the scilencers. Anybody know a good link with a list of different jetta exhausts or something like that?

I like the Grill replacement that ive seen some places that gets rid of the plastic horizontal lines and it looks pretty much empty, just with the VW in the middle, but i cant remember the name atm....

I was just saying that a Jetta is modded less than say a civic, which everybody from here to talamazu has. Im sure plenty of people do it.

I dont really care to run like 12s but 13 would be great.

Its gonna cost a pretty penny to swap a 1.8T in your jetta. You can for less money toss on a turbo kit from http://www.8vturbo.com . You could also piece together your own setup for quite a bit cheaper if you are turbo savy it just depends on what you want to do.

Check out http://www.dieselgeek.com/A4NB_SS.htm, way cheaper than the neuspeed option and it works just as well.

For the clutch I have actually had good results from a neuspeed clutch but ymmv. Right now on the turbo car we have the stage 2 setup from ecs and it seems to work pretty well.

For brakes check out http://www.ecstuning.com but you don't really need a whole lot more than what your car has already in that department.

You can't go wrong with a Techtonics exhaust and it will sound pretty good too. But if you decide you want to go turbo you should hold off and have a 3" exhaust made for your car (I can or plenty of other people can help you out if thats what you want). http://www.tttuning.com

For all the look good mods you're on your own but there are some people in town that may be able to point you in the right direction. http://www.ohiovw.com

Hope that helps you out.

-jeff

In all honnesty you might want to consider something other then drag racing for that car. The platform and the physics, along with the aftermarket, dont lend themselves to it.

HJowever, for less money you could have a bad ass auto crosser, IMHO 10 times as fun as drag racing ;)

Or if you've got the nuts, Rally ;)

Just an update since I posted pics of the Jetta above in this thread. It went 9.93 @ 143mph and was backed up with a 9.94 @ 142mph tonight at the IDRC race at ATCO. Who says vws are slow. smile.gif

VW sells a set of ebiach springs for your car that are designed not to need new shocks but they dont offer much of a drop at all but do handle a bit better. If you don't go with those I would for sure grab new shocks though.

Guest BlackS14

Fush, I dunno where you got your info on the VW 2.0 engine, but in all that I have heard and seen, it is an oil burning piece-o-crap. Sorry that I let this thread wander away from me without stating the most important thing: If you want to spend money to mod your Jetta -good for you. It's a good looking and good handling car. But do yourself a favor before you get into it too deep -get rid of that motor. If it means trading it in on a 1.8T then do so. I saw a super-well done Jetta COUPE at the NY auto Show. It was a lot of work, and I dunno who did it, but it was hot.

I'm not downing your Jetta at all. I just don't want to see you dump a lot of money and time into something that won't make you happy in the long run.

Taken from www.myVWlemon.com -Seriously:

"If you are considering buying, or have just bought a Jetta or Golf with the 2.0 liter engine, you should be aware of that engine's notorious oil consumption problems.

This has been reported and debated widely, but I want to get some important info out for new owners. If you read and use this info, please "bump" it back to the top for other owners.

In March 2001 VW issued Technical Service Bulletin 1701-01, "Oil Consumption, Evaluating." (WRITE DOWN THAT NUMBER FOLKS!) It describes a process for testing the oil consumption in your 2.0 engine. Pretty simple, bring it to the dealer and have a "tech" pull the dipstick every 1,000 miles. While they will tell you 1 quart per 1,000 miles is "within range", there is a fix if it higher than that, (or you wave a lawyer in their face).

The warranty fix is called "Cylinder de-glazing and ring replacement" and amounts to a serious ripping apart and rebuilding of your engine, apparently to fix piston rings that are defective, or installed upside down.

I have seen an invoice for someone who had this done under warranty on a 2002 Golf, so some dealers are trying to stand behind the product and fix a well-known and well documented problem.

I have a 2003 that has drank one quart in first 2,000 miles - might be break in, might be a sign o'trouble. I know of another 2003 owner who is undergoing the consumption test right now.

This is not something you can "fix" by switching to synthetic oil or changing viscosities. If you have this problem and get the runaround at your dealer, insist upon seeing TSB 1701-01 and insist upon getting your oil consumption formally monitored.

hope this helps..."

Guest DagoRcR
Whoa, it turns out that i may very likely have that problem , it has been eating oil. I got it from Hatfield VW. You think ill have any chance at gettin a trade in, with say a older 1.8t or a golf1.8t instead of keeping it and getting the piston ring fix?