ford 302 cam choices?

Dave1647545494

I got a new motor for my town car but it comes without a cam in it this is a heavy car so I'm looking for something to give it a little more grunt down low heres what Ive been looking at any ideas for guys? I'm leaning towards the motorsport cam but if there is a truck cam or something I missed that'll work better let me know. Thanks

Ford motorsport

e303 cam- Duration: 220°/220° @ .050''

Lift: .498''/.498''

lunati

638-00061LK Adv. Duration: 292°/292°

Gross Lift: .512''/.512''

RPM Range: 2000-6000

638-00064LK Adv. Duration: 284°/284°

Gross Lift: .488''/.488''

RPM Range: 1500-5500

edelbrock

Part # Description

2122 Performer-Plus Camshaft Kit; Ford 289-302; Hydraulic; For Off-Idle To 5500 RPM; Valve Lift Intake .448; Exhaust .472;

3722 Performer-Plus Camshaft Kit; Ford 5L Roller; Hydraulic; For Off-Idle To 5500 RPM; Valve Lift Intake .498; Exhaust .498;

crower

BAJA BEAST / PERFORMANCE LEVEL 2 - Exhibits broad stump

pulling power and torque.

RPM Power Range: 1200 to 3800 / Redline: 5200

264 duration

458lift

POWER COMPU-PRO / PERFORMANCE LEVEL 2 - Perfect

combination of power and mileage. Provides excellent low end and

mid-range power with extended rpm’s for spirited offroad use.

RPM Power Range: 1500 to 4000 / Redline: 5500 plus.

250HDP- 258 dur 437 lift

260HDP- 266 dur 464 lift

Originally posted by Member # 34:

Go E cam. I believe you may run into valve clearance if anything bigger, but that also depends on what year block and heads you are using.

You can go bigger, I ran an F-cam in the cougar (it has one in it now)I also had an E-cam in the car, it picked up 20rwhp with the F-cam, however it moved the torque peak up 1,000rpm, hell the mustang has a .577 lift cam, 1.97" intake valves and a stock shortblock and it clears.

Is it a HO motor? if not, none of the cams will work. Is it speed density? If so none of the cams will work.

If it uses a MAF then I would go with an E-cam, but you will need a converter or some steep gears, with any of the cams you are going to lose bottom end over the stock cam.

Rob

Originally posted by Mensan:

Comp cams 268H is the best street cam for an auto car without a convertor. PERIOD.

What are the specs on the cam?

I'd say don't put a cam in the car unless you at LEAST put some gear in it (4.10's man! come on!).

Originally posted by rl:

What are the specs on the cam?

I'd say don't put a cam in the car unless you at LEAST put some gear in it (4.10's man! come on!).

218/218 @ .050, .456", 110* lobe sep.

With the powerband so low, 4.10s would hurt it.

Originally posted by Mensan:

218/218 @ .050, .456", 110* lobe sep.

With the powerband so low, 4.10s would hurt it.

I bet he would lose a decent amount of power up top with that cam, even over stock, and with a 4,000+lbs car I REALLY doubt 4.10's would hurt it. We arent talking about 350+rwtq at 2000rpm, more like 280ft/lbs at 2800rpm instead of 3000rpm.

they make that grind for a ford :D I ran a 268h in my buick for a while I think the lincoln is speed density though :( (no maf) I havn't looked at the block I'm getting if the one in the car is a roller can I convert an older block over or should I just get a flat tappet with close to stock specs? thanks for all the help btw

Originally posted by Sigman Auto Service:

they make that grind for a ford :D I ran a 268h in my buick for a while I think the lincoln is speed density though :( (no maf) I havn't looked at the block I'm getting if the one in the car is a roller can I convert an older block over or should I just get a flat tappet with close to stock specs? thanks for all the help btw

Whats the block from? You can convert an older block to roller, but you have to use link-bar lifters or a reduced base circle cam. It's not worth the money or hassle for your application.