Inboard CV removal from tranny

03spydr

I'm trying to remove the axle from the tranny of a 92 geo prism. I did the passenger side fine, but I need to find a way to get the snap ring to let go on the driver side. I don't really have anywhere to pry it. Thanks for the help.

I've been trying to pry it but it only has about an 1/8" lip where I can pry and I can't really get a good bite on it. I keep slipping off. I don't know if there's some kind of fork tool or something that might help grab it better. There isn't really a whole lot of room to work with.

yeah, I know how that is. So if its just a 1/8" lip, then its a two part axle (half shaft/end shaft)? Else, the joint would HAVE to be right at the tranny, no?

I just did a tranny in a ford probe GT that was similar to that. i wound up getting it to pop out with tire tool. Wasnt easy, and didnt come out without about 5 minutes of cussing and spitting.

GL

Get a long, thin but solid coat-hangerish wire of some sort and go in through the other side of the differential and press the snap ring down from behind. In other words, go in through the hole that is left from having removed the other axle...and press the snap ring down. When you get it down, have someone else pry the axle out.

WE DID IT!!!! It took forever but I ended up just buying a nice pry bar set from sears and the 26" bar with a nice fresh tip on it was just enough to get the job done. Thanks to Dave for letting me borrow a couple tools.