Water pump upgrade for 4.6 fords

Mensan

I purchased some parts to upgrade my cooling system today. I read a letter in the latest (October) MM&FF that states the water pump was redesigned for the 99 and up Cobra. The upgraded features include less drag at higher RPMs and improved flow for better cooling. Be assured there has been a design change. HOWEVER, I do not see any reason that drag would be reduced by any means. The redesign seems to be the addition of a round plate behind the impeller, making it look similar to a vented brake rotor. I can see how this would improve flow, but I can't see where it would reduce drag. Preliminary driving tests show no difference in the cooling effect, either, but I have not taken the car on the highway yet. I will keep everyone posted as time goes on. I also plan on changing the thermostat to a 160* model when I install the headers.

http://mark8.org/users/Eli/1/wpump.jpg

http://mark8.org/users/Eli/1/wpump1.jpg

Originally posted by Stolen 5.0:

jus get an electric water pump

metzger (sp) makes a good one

I had the choice between CSI, CVR, and Mezeirre (sp?).

I chose CSI. Why?? None of the Fbody guys run the CVR because its more expensive than the other two and not proven. The Mez is $50 more than the CSI, yet has had problems with the electrical seals leaking and the unit frying. My CSI has been flawless. smile.gif

That said, a waterpump is not a good place to look for HP IMO. The ONLY reason I have the CSI is because my car was heading toward the end of the life of the stocker, and I couldn't run the timing chain I wanted without an electric (LT1 stock waterpumps are cam driven).

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

That said, a waterpump is not a good place to look for HP IMO. The ONLY reason I have the CSI is because my car was heading toward the end of the life of the stocker, and I couldn't run the timing chain I wanted without an electric (LT1 stock waterpumps are cam driven).

Could a water pump be considered a supporting mod as opposed to a power mod? When you add boost, juice, higher compression, or whatever you get higher cylinder pressure. Pressure is directly proportional to temperature so things will run hotter and then need to be cooled down at a higher rate.

Guest White Horse
Originally posted by BC:

That plate they added reduces turbulence, which will lower high end drag

Exactly... and +1 on the electric pump. If you really want a noticable difference, this is the way to go.

I don't know off the top of my head how many horse the pump is worth to ya, but I'm pretty sure you will need a dyno to see a difference between the old and new belt driven pump.

Originally posted by Nevarmore:

Could a water pump be considered a supporting mod as opposed to a power mod? When you add boost, juice, higher compression, or whatever you get higher cylinder pressure. Pressure is directly proportional to temperature so things will run hotter and then need to be cooled down at a higher rate.

Errr, yes/no. Many people don't realize that an electric waterpump normally flows LESS than a stock pump at WOT, but much more at lower engine RPM's. It's just a consistant flow at all times. This can sometimes cause problems for road racers, depending on the motor/cooling system.

But IMO a water pump is not a place to spend your money. A radiator is a far better place to toss money into if you are having cooling problems. And I've noticed in the F-body world that a number of people do needless cooling system upgrades; I've seen 400HP cars getting cooling system upgrades, when the stock system is way more than adequate. Upgrade when your car NEEDS it, and start w/ the radiator. At least that's my opinion on the matter.

My car has been running warmer, which is a problem for the Marks. I will be doing more upgrasding to the cooling system, and I will be running a blower, so I would like to keep the car as cool as possible. I wasn't looking for an increase in power; if the pump offers one it's just an added bonus.

Originally posted by BC:

That plate they added reduces turbulence, which will lower high end drag

beat me to it.

If you look at the impellars, you'll see that the cobra impellar seems to be smaller in diameter and blade height then the stocker, which may explain your heat problems. Keep in mind that, though your car shares the same block geometry, all the other coolant passages are different. This could mean that what works for the SVT wont work the same for your Intech. Also, arent the 03s aftercooled? It wouldn't supprise me to find that the Mark 8s had some freak bastard water pump that flowed beter then any before or after, Ford is weird like that, especialy with the FN10 platform. just look at the rear end, lightweight materials, cutting edge (ala mid 90s) engine tech, beefier 4R70W, Aluminum drive shaft, the list goes on.