Dump Tube

Guest compudaze

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

It's a cutout, and pretty much any exhaust shop will do it after the cat. I have an electric cutout on mine.

You do realize how shitty your car is going to sound with that, right? I'm talking embarassing, point and laugh shitty.

I would assume he has a turbo neon if he is even thinking about running one of those, so how would it sound too much different than any other turbo 4cyl than one. IMO a shitty sound would be worth the power increase you might see anyway. :D

I thought the new SRT-4s aren't equipped with mufflers. :confused:

Anyways, I need some practice with my mig so I can install it for ya cheap. You already have the cutout? What size is your exhaust, know the outside diameter? Or use something to measure the circumference, then do some math.

Guest compudaze

I think the stock piping is 2.25". I'd like the exhaust to exit the turbine much sooner than it currently does. At 15lbs this thing needs to breathe! And I don't currently have the money for a full 3" turbo-back exhaust right now. I've read quite a few people are dropping their exhaust after the cat and getting respectable gains with faster spool up. I would rather not do that, but I think a dump tube would suffice.

No muffler currently on the car, just 2 resonators. I'd like to dump the exhaust after the cat but before the resonators.

Where could find an electric one?

No I don't currently have the dump tube. I would need one made or would need to buy one. But where? What’s a 'good' exhaust shop to go to? Anyone with personal experience with any around here?

Jeg's sells cutouts.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=102162&prmenbr=361

Mustang-style Race Readies are a slip fit on any OEM Mustang and most other vehicles with 2.25" pipes. 1/pkg
That should be perfect for your car, if it really is 2-1/4". They measure exhaust by outside diameter. The wall thickness is usually 1/16", double that for the circle. So the inside diameter would be 2-1/8" on your car.

Same for the cutout. It's diameter is 2-3/8 outside, and 2-1/4" inside. So it should slip right onto your exhaust, and will be easier to weld.

Jegs used to only sell them in pairs, because that's how Flowtech packages them. Summit Racing sold them individually (all they did was open up the Flowtech box, called them Summit brand cutouts, and sold them individually) It looks like Jegs has done the same...

Not sure about the electric cutout for your smaller size. I have a 3" DMH, but the smallest they make is 2-1/2". Maybe other brands sell smaller ones... search for QTP and McCord, they also make electric cutouts. It just bolts onto a regular cutout, so it's something you can add later. You said it's for track use, so I don't think you'd mind getting under the car to open it up. Electric cutouts are expensive, not to mention sort of flakey... but fun. :D

I suppose you could fit a 2-1/2" cutout on your car if you really wanted an electric cutout... might need some filler for the gap, or find some scrap 2-3/8" pipe maybe.

btw, I paid $40 to have mine installed at Exhaust Works. I got a quote of $100 from one shop. $30 is what I've heard most guys pay. I'll install yours for $20.