need help timing 350

Guest h8tcivics

Guest h8tcivics
I just put a chevy 350 into my bravada. more fun. ultimate sleeper. It has holley 750 4bbl doble pumper carb, edlebrock intake/covers. It has been parked in driveway. messn with the timing to get it right. well started it up today and while starting it the bracket wgich holds the distributor in place got loose. now my timing is MAJORLY messed to hell. I cant get it to turn over. has plenty of fuel. just no go. I tried to do it manually, nothing. anyone have a timing light I could use?

This is only a trick that works MOST of the time if everything is set up like stock. Turn dist. so that cap position 1 and 8 are aimed straight forward. Cap #1 should be pointed directly towards plug #1 - farthest to the front on driver's side.

This is usually close enough to start the engine. All this is assuming the dist. was dropped in straight to begin with, but might be worth a try.

Guest h8tcivics
well here is what I have so far. I havent yet tried what you said to do. this happened before I got on here. the dist almost makes the engine crank over when the dist is turned to the left. if I turn it toooo far to the left it hits something and grinds a bit. but the engine is a fighter. it wants and acts liek it is going to turn over but it wont. I knwo I am close. when it is over to the left it works a little bit..but not enough juice to turn it over. my battery is dead dead. it was bran new. all this crankn has worn it out. I never realized how hard the starter has to work to crank over a V8. I will let you know Monday.

Guest h8tcivics
well, I even dug out my huge book from CSCC. I found the timing section. the only way I can use the timing light is if the engine is running. well I did the routine. it is a no go. I then read throught the book about static timing. well took the cap off the dist. dam itis different than my book. didnt waant to mess anything else up so I put it back on. I now have a 2grand engine that dont work. and a paper weight for a truck. I have a couple friends who are mechanics. they are coming over with all of their tools and making it run. I promised them a case of beer each. if anyone else wants to come for free beer and workn on the vehicle. message me for directions.