Porting Heads?

Guest Beau

Hey everyone, I was looking at a new set of heads, and was wondering what is a good price for this. I got quoted $995 for a stage II port job and $595 for a Stage I I have never had anything like this done before, so just wondering if this is a good/decent price or what? I apprecaite any help you could give me smile.gif

Beau

[ 07 February 2002: Message edited by: Beau B ]

These "stages" are just what the individual porter uses to say how much they are going to port your heads compared to their next stage. BUT, a Stage I at one place could be equal to a Stage II or III at another.

For instance, GTP racing (who does some AWSOME head work) charged 2k for their Stage II LT1-ported heads (plus new valves and valve springs). Basically, ask around to find out if they do a good job porting or not, and ask what kind of flow numbers you'll get from the heads, then HAVE THEM FLOWED to make sure you get those numbers.

SamZMan-

Well technically I do not have the crossfire still, I am using something called the X-Ram which uses a Weiland Accelerater base, with a pleneum. It flows a lot better than the stock crossfire manifold. But I am looking at a ZZ4 crate to put this manifold on because I can get a great deal on one. I also have 1 3/4 TPIS Full Lenght headers, high flow cat, power effects cat back, crappy Hypertech Thermomaster Chip, adn 160 degree stat. I also have sitting in my room along with the manifold a 7747 ECM conversion and diacom software, so I can program once I get the new engine, which will hopefully be soon.

The guy doing the port work is highly recommended by ALOT of ppl on the corvetter forum, the company is Speed Deamon Motorsports out of Texas. I have not decided what to do, jsut trying to get some ideas of options that I have, sorry for the long e-mail, and thanks for the help, it gives me some ideas to play with.. smile.gif

Beau

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lustalbert:

Another one to try, Mondello (heads by Mondello, Dr. olds ect.) Not sure what he charges to do a chevy heead, but his drag porting on olds 455 heads are good for 120 hp or more

he used to race chevy in ski boats, so i am sure he know some chevy tricks to<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mondello is the man.