Turbocharger help

controler

The turbo on my Supra came from the jap-spec motor I dropped in, and it didn't have much shaft play so I didn't rebuild it. Well sometimes it makes a terrible screeching noise when I boost through corners. What could explain this? I have the turbo off the car, and visual inspection does not reveal any flaws in the turbo itself. There are no cracks in the 'hot' side. Also it doesn't look like the compressor blades are hitting the housing.

Any help is appreciated...

Yeah is almost only when taking a turn but, I might have gotten the noise once or twice when I was accelerating and the weight was being transfered, after a turn. But it would make the think I need a rebuild because the turbo isn't seated right, and probably is floating, possibly hitting the housing. But I don't know.

Originally posted by slow4now:

Hate to be Captain Obvious here, but are you sure it isn't just tire squeal? :confused:

I'll play capt'n obvious. Check your power steering belt.

[ 07 July 2002, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Blupastu TSi ]

Originally posted by controler:

Its only when I am under boost, and does not happen on every turn I take. It would make the think its the turbo for this reason, under boost.

Sounds like a power steering belt.

Under boost the motor is accelerating faster than normal (obviously), AND in a turn there is a greater load on the power steering pump. The quicker the steering wheel is turned, the greater load on the pump.... that could explain why it doesnt do it all the time.

Dont just check the belt for tension, also check it for glazing (hardening).

[ 07 July 2002, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Blupastu TSi ]