Figured out Saturn Problem, now how to fix??

Trouble Maker

Well folks I checked what I could and I coudln't find anything so I took it in to Tuffy for diganostics. I called them today and they said that injectors #1, and #2 aren't geting pulses from the ECU and they traced it back to the wiring harness. They wanted 1400 dollars to fix it, the car's not worth that much. Parts alone like 500, can't spend that much either. We are going to bring it home tonight and me and my dad are going to look at it and see if we can see any visible damage to the wiring that goes to thoes two injectors and go from there. I don't know if a wirinig harness is the type of part I should try to get from a junkyard or not so I need some help from more expierenced people here. They also said it's very labor intensive and I realize this, but if a few days work and a few hundered bucks mean a car for me I'm more than willing to do that. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you can find the section of the harness that is damaged, you could just replace that section instead of the whole harness.

That is more of a "patch" then a true fix, but if you don't want to spend the time and money to replace the entire harness then that is really your only option.

It all depends on where the bad spot is, if it is easy to get to or not. Did they actually identify where the harness was messed up? Or did they just figure that this must be the problem?

If you can't find the actual bad spot, or if Tuffy couldn’t show it to you, then you may want to take it someplace else for a second opinion. I don't think that Tuffy muffler is the best place in the world for engine diagnostics unless you know somebody working there who knows his stuff.

Also, are you sure that it is $500 just for parts? You might want to get a quote from the dealer yourself. The entire EFI harness for my car lists for only $350 brand new from the Nissan dealer. And my car is loaded with engine sensors, probably a lot more then a non-turbo 4 cylinder, making the harness more expensive with all the extra connections. Not trying to insult, it just doesn't make sense to me that it would cost so much for the harness for your car.

Sorry that this does not appear to be a simple, cheap fix after all, but are you glad you didn’t just buy a fuel pump and hope it worked? ;)

Oh yeah defintely about the fuel pump thing. I've had good luck with the Tuffy on the westside, more than I can say for other places me and my family went so I'll take my cars there from now on until they do me wrong, they seem pretty competent. The guy gave me some wiring diagrams and I just got home so I'm gona go check it out now. He said there seemed to be some damage up by the injectors so I'm gona check that out, but he said they did a voltage check up there somehow and that wasn't it. Other than that they didn't say anything about any damage they saw and I haven't looked at it yet. This might be a lost cause I realize but I'm still going to try. We will just have to see what happens, I'll check on that part too, it does sound a little weird now that you say that. But from what they said it might be all of the wiring harnesses, not just the engine one, because they said something about having to strip out the interiro to do it... I'll get back to you all when I look at it some more. Thanks.

Guest 1bad66duece
you can get a light (i call it a noid light)to plug in were your injector plug is to check the pulse(they are very cheap),check to see if just 2 or all have no pulse.if only 2 have no pulse its probley a bad wire somewere,but if no pulse at all find out what trigers the injectors and go from there.it could be the ecm,module or cam sensor,not worked on any saturns so i amnot sure what trigers injector pulse.

Well he actually said that none of them wern't getin pulses when I went and picked it up. He said that there is some kind of driver for them and if it fails none of them will get pulses. I'm gona tear into it tommrow when I get home if it's not too late regardless of how cold it is, I was being a bum tonight and didn't do anything. I figure it won't be too hard to trace wires with that diagram using a voltmeter set on resistance (you can make them beep when the see and open circuit, aka wire, if it's broken it won't beep)... But I found out my PCM is behind my dash so it apperas as if I might have to tear it out, blah. I'll dig into it tommrow and report my findings.