Speaker inquiry and warning

Berto

i'm not sure if you all were aware of this, but i just had it happend to me, my rear speakers on are on the rear deck, well the UV rays bang on the plastic all day long, the UV rays thin the plastic on the cone. and bust it.

i opened my trunk last night to find out that my speaker was laying in flakes on my sub box.

is there anyway to prevent this? other than tint?

just giving everyone a heads up.

If you really want to prevent this and have the best sound quality, since you have subs you should just do away with the rear speakers and just get a set of good components for the front. i.e. like a set of JL's with the crossovers and 1" tweeter. Having subs just drowns out the rear speakers, and components sound 20x better. You'll be 1) Solving your UV problem 2) getting better sound quality.

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Were these aftermarket or factory speakers? A good aftermarket speaker will be made out of materials that resist the effects of UV rays.

these were infinity reference speakers

and from what i understand they are damn good speakers....

Originally posted by accorddood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Were these aftermarket or factory speakers? A good aftermarket speaker will be made out of materials that resist the effects of UV rays.

these were infinity reference speakers

and from what i understand they are damn good speakers....</font>

I had the same ones in my saturn (aka the ratteler, hehe) and I took them out the other day after about a year, I could see the affects of the sun on them, they are discolored in the front and back, back worse, but no damage at all. That's kina weird berto, are you sure there wasn't any other contributing factors here. Any mositure get into your trunk. Do you run them off of the head unit's power (junk power), when they distort it causes the cone to deflect in bad ways. I know this second one is kinda far fetched but I can't help but think stuff like this as I've read books about how speakers work, yeah, I know, I'm a dork.