Tempo heater prob.

Buck531

As the family and I were driving back from my parents house in the Tempo... I noticed something incredibly wierd when we stopped at a light for a minute or so. The heat turned to A/C (incredibly cold) and the Temp guage went up to R in Normal (Ford thing). It only did it when the car was at idle and when we started to go again, it was fine like nothing happened.

Any suggestions? Heater core? (there's no water leaking from the car outside or in). I replaced the thermostat a few years ago, but could it have gone bad again?

Suggestions? thanks.

yeah. It will be working perfectly fine when your moving. When I came to the stoplight, it was like I switched over to the a/c!!! Cold as shit. When we started to go again, it turned the heat back on.

Now that I think about it. It was at the M in normal on on the temp guage. Usually, it never gets past the O even when idling. Last night I pulled into the house and kicked the heater OFF.. The temp guage took off and went pretty high (back up to the M). Then it came back down after a few minutes. Then I turned the heater back on and it was fine. I dunno. It's my wife's car and I really need to get it fixed smile.gif.

Ok.. so I took the car to Goodyear to have them check it out while I'm at work now. I just got a call from the guy and he said it's something electrical between the fan and the dash somewhere. It will go up to almost the point of overheating (in the red), but then the fan kicks on and it goes back to normal. Any suggestions? I'm going to replace the termostat tonight when I get home. But electrical? Hmm.. help? smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oo0martelle0oO:

Ahh no you dont its just the Birdshit red Tempo. tongue.gif;):D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it was my car that I drove, I wouldn't give two shits about it . Hell, I know I wouldn't even have kept it that long. However, the wife drives it and I don't want her stuck on the side of the road with both kids in the car. ..

If it were my choice (well it is), i'd run it into a river and claim the car as "stolen". But I can't afford another car payment :(

you know my girlfriends step dad worked on her car, and it started doing that. driving and the temp went from hot air to cold air...the guage would rise up and down...her problem was the antifreeze mixture was waaay off..just a thought...i flushed her system and did a 60/40 mix and its awesome heat that i noticed today...strong and solid...

I think I fixed it last night. I found the ground wire to the fan where it bolts up to the chasis and it was dirty as hell. So I took it off.. cleaned it up a bit and put it back on. Seemed to be working ok. I drove around 270 for a bit.. then stopped, full blast on heat and didn't have a problem. We'll see this morning how it does when the wife drives it to work.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 383Iroc:

As Tony would say GRRRRRRRRRRREAT

[ 06 March 2002: Message edited by: 383Iroc ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you know grrrreat is

tiger saying: grrrr

want you to: eat

together is: grrrr-eat

:D