copper vs steel head gaskets

Dave1647545494

to get the compression ratio I want when I put my motor back together I have to use a .020 head gasket. this gasket is availiable in copper and steel. the steel gasket is much cheaper in price. is there anything special about a copper head gasket or does it just cost more cause its copper.

If I'm thinking correctly or maybe importly but for copper hg generally you have to get the block oringed ($$$$) and for a metal you have to get the block and heads surface machined prefectly to seal. Don't know if its any different for a domestic. There maybe another type of copper hg too???

I'd use a MLS head gasket for sure. With a copper head gasket you have to use a hylomar sealer, and even then seepage can be an issue.

You don't have to o-ring the block with a copper HG, however re-torquing the head bolts frequently is not a bad idea.

When you have the block and heads machined, check with Cometic and see what they recommend the RA to be (the roughness of the metal) and have the machine shop machine the mating surfaces to that RA.

Rob

Originally posted by rl:

I'd use a MLS head gasket for sure. With a copper head gasket you have to use a hylomar sealer, and even then seepage can be an issue.

You don't have to o-ring the block with a copper HG, however re-torquing the head bolts frequently is not a bad idea.

When you have the block and heads machined, check with Cometic and see what they recommend the RA to be (the roughness of the metal) and have the machine shop machine the mating surfaces to that RA.

Rob

I must be thinking of a different type of copper hg.