My nuts are stuck!

Bad

Impact wrench (250lbs+), liquid wrench, torch, 3 foot breaker bar with me on the end (240lbs, and a broken socket) and still no movement.

Damn, a 1 hour job to swap out my suspension just got frustrating.

Guest lkrsfan034

I edited your lame attempt to be funny. Keep your crap outta the tech section.

-Sam

[ 08 July 2002, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: SamZman ]

The best stuff I have ever used (on an old VW) was called JB 80. I got it from some friends that work on earth moving equipment. You soak the nuts for a good long while with the stuff and let it work. I had one nut that just wouldn't come off with a big breaker etc..., it took 3 days of soaking with this stuff and finally it came off.

Not to be a smart-ass, the thread isn't reversed to due to travel direction or something, is it?

Originally posted by Akula:

The best stuff I have ever used (on an old VW) was called JB 80. I got it from some friends that work on earth moving equipment. You soak the nuts for a good long while with the stuff and let it work. I had one nut that just wouldn't come off with a big breaker etc..., it took 3 days of soaking with this stuff and finally it came off.

Not to be a smart-ass, the thread isn't reversed to due to travel direction or something, is it?

First thing I checked was the visible threads..to make sure I was not making my case worse. I tell you, I kept checking the impact wrench to prove to myself that it was turning in the correct direction. Not a SA comment at all ;)

I've been soaking it in Liquid Wrench for about 6 hours now. I might just have to rig a container and immerse it in the stuff.

What puzzles me is that my flywheel but came off with about 2 minutes of the same impact wrench. And that puppy sees some heat cycles.

I may have to cut!

Originally posted by attitude4U:

Torch and hammer time :D What exactly are you tryin to get off? I know most things come off with an air wrench. If I could find my friend I'd come on over and let you use the air wrench. Good luck smile.gif Peace

It's the lower bolt/nut for the rear shock! It should not be this difficult. I am thinking about trying to find a bigger "gun."

Yeah you're gonna have to cut I can tell you that much. On my accord (1992) we had to cut the somabitch out. Popin in a set of Tokico Blues on it had to cut the shock on out at the bottom.Had to hack the bushing out, it was a pain in the ASS! That would be your best bet if IT is possible to cut it out and get a new one in. I'd say torch a lil more on it and spray it a lil more, but I think it'll come down to you cuttin it out. Even when we had the wrench turned up it wouldn't budge. Best of luck to ya smile.gif Peace

I just got myself a new lower control arm and bolt/nut assembly along with a new bushing on my passanger side when i droped the new shocks in. Maybe that'll work. Peace

ALSO if you need to get the bushing out, we used a die grinder air tool. Hammer and chizle work to get that bad boy out. We also heated it up a bit, but it's all up to you how you think you're gonna get it out cause on my car it was coming out one way or another :D

If you need another set of hands I'd help if you need it.

[ 08 July 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: attitude4U ]

Thanks for the offer of help.

Air-grinder sounds more appealing as this day drags on at work.

I am thinking that I might not be getting enough power to the tool with only 80 PSI (that's when my fuse blows in the garage.) Again, it was enough to get a 275 ft lb. flywheel nut off!

[ 08 July 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: badog ]

80 pounds I don't think will get her off she's stuck in there quite well especially suspension parts. IF you're able to get ahold of a new bolt/nut for the shock assembly then I'd go ahead and cut that somabitch on out, a lot easier than tryin to keep fuckin with it for 5 hours WHEN you can cut it out and pop a new one in. I'd try to run some more power on the tool though then go ahead and try again, it may/may not work, but anywho GOOD LUCK AGAIN. Peace

Get a much longer breaker bar if you can get an angle on it, if you don't have enough room then you are stuck with the impact gun. You will be able to generate way more force with a 5 foot long jack handle then with the impact gun. If you can't get it to loosen with a 5-foot long jack handle slipped over a breaker bar, then I don't know what will get it off.

I got 'em off.

I waved an angle grinder at them and they popped off in fear.

I tried a 3' breaker to no avail. Started to round the nut at that point.

I just went crazy with the blue tipped wrench...aka "the torch."

Amazing how long a nut, bolt, and the bottom of shock will glow for when heated ;)

Thanks for your advice and time!