Q for Mustang guys

SupraGlue

I was doing a little reading on the net, and I came across some sites selling kits to convert the Mustang rear suspension from upper control arms to a torque arm setup. All of the standard benefits were claimed -- better launches, better handling, etc.

What I am curious about is the durability of this conversion. Is anyone familiar with this?

The mounting of it to the rear axle housing was interesting, to say the least.

I don't have a Mustang, but I *do* have a third gen Camaro -- which uses a factory torque arm setup.

My curiousity about the Mustang torque arm conversion durability has to do with the fact that on our cars, it's generally regarded as a bad idea to try to fit our torque arm on to a non-torque arm rear axle. Typical axle replacements (such as Moser, Strange and KTRE) have a custom designed and cast "coconut" that incorporates the mounting bracket.

From what I could tell, the Griggs setup for the Mustang was just using the cover bolts as a mounting point. Like I said, very interesting. smile.gif

Originally posted by Stolen UFO:

From what I could tell, the Griggs setup for the Mustang was just using the cover bolts as a mounting point smile.gif

oh damn, sounds real beefy graemlins/fruit.gif

I too would have serious doubts about durability with that....but it's prolly still stronger then my IRS :mad: