Questions about RAM AIR for 98 trans am

Guest 98 LS1Trans AM

Guest 98 LS1Trans AM
I recently purchased an immaculate 98 Trans Am. But it dosen't have RAM AIR. I was wondering what some of the pro/cons of RAM AIR are? And if anyone knows of anywhere where I can buy it, and have it installed? thanks.

First off, Ram Air is a myth ;) Basically all the openings in the hood are doing is feeding a little more air in the engine. Yes Ram Air cars make a little extra power but not much. Also if you want to get the WS6 hood and airbox you're easily looking at over $1000. You can also go a different route with under car ram air kits that require little install time and modification to the car. I chose the Fast Toys Ram Air kit available from most of the aftermarket parts sellers for our cars. My kit seals to the bottom of the airbox and pulls fresh cold air up from the bottom. It also seals the front of the airbox so it creates more of a ram air effect. Personally I would look to other mods first, such as a lid or a cutout to start off with.

Does that explain everything? If not ask away smile.gif

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by 00 NHRA T/A:

First off, Ram Air is a myth ;) Basically all the openings in the hood are doing is feeding a little more air in the engine. Yes Ram Air cars make a little extra power but not much. Also if you want to get the WS6 hood and airbox you're easily looking at over $1000. You can also go a different route with under car ram air kits that require little install time and modification to the car. I chose the Fast Toys Ram Air kit available from most of the aftermarket parts sellers for our cars. My kit seals to the bottom of the airbox and pulls fresh cold air up from the bottom. It also seals the front of the airbox so it creates more of a ram air effect. Personally I would look to other mods first, such as a lid or a cutout to start off with.

Does that explain everything? If not ask away smile.gif

Essentially, you're better off spending the money on other power adders. The $/hp ratio for ram air is very high.

Guest 98 LS1Trans AM
Thanks for the advice. 00 NHRA T/A is your hood OEM product, or is it fiberglass? Also, if you could suggest some other modifications that are worth the time/money I would appreciate it. I am really new to the LS1 engine, so any advice would help. Thanks.

There are a ton of ways to make power with an LS1, just depends on how you want to do it and how much you can spend. If your car is stock I'd get an air lid and a cutout welded into your exhaust first. Should cost $200-300, counting paying somebody to weld the cutout in, and pick up 20+ hp.

Don't buy a cutout they sound horable I don't care how much power they add. Also I thought the non ws6 cars and the ws6 cars used the same airbox nothing looks different on my sisters ws6. Wouldn't it be better to by an open filter theirs still two openings in the front to grab air better from the top then off the hot pavement just my $.02

Originally posted by 98 LS1Trans AM:

00 NHRA T/A is your hood OEM product, or is it fiberglass? Also, if you could suggest some other modifications that are worth the time/money I would appreciate it. I am really new to the LS1 engine, so any advice would help. Thanks.

Edit: Whoops this is 00 NHRA T/A

I have a Suncoast Creations WS6 hood, it's fiberglass, and weighs nothing. The nostrils are defenitely bigger on my hood than the OEM WS6 hoods. If you do get a Suncoast hood, I can sell you the airbox you'de need to buy ;) These hoods can be had for $800 + freight + paint.

Also there are many many other mods you can perform. Visit www.LS1tech.com and check out the newbie section smile.gif

Before:

http://flathat.woodstream.net/ColumbusRacing/Steve/DSC01047.JPG

After:

http://flathat.woodstream.net/ColumbusRacing/Steve/WS6%20Hood%20car%20pics/DSC01165.JPG

You can't honestly think cutouts sound good. A f-body with full length headers, off-road pipe, and either borla, slp, or flowmaster cat-backs now that sounds good they don't sound like one big exhaust leak. You know all you f-body guys are always saying mustangs sound so good that's because we run full exhaust not cutouts.

Cutouts don't sound good, especially on cars with headers and no cats. But they do pick up power for cheap and you just cap them when you're not racing.

And mustangs sound good because they have true duals. Most exhausts on an F-body just sound like a truck.

Cutout open, my car sounds pretty damn good above 3000 RPMs. :D I have an electric cutout and can open it at anytime, usually drive with it closed though. They do sound crappy at low RPMs cruising around and such.

Originally posted by QWK90GT:

A f-body with full length headers, off-road pipe, and flowmaster cat-backs now that sounds good they don't sound like one big exhaust leak.

I also have that as well, with my E-cuout closed:

Cutout Closed

I've gotten tons of compliments from people I know and perfect strangers about how my car sounds, both with the cutout opened and closed. Combo is Hooker Long Tubes, Mufflex catless Y-pipe (POS), and Flowmaster catback, with a cutout under where the rear passenger seat would be, welded to the I-pipe right before it goes over the axle.

My plan is to go true duals, hopefully next year if I can afford it, because I'm sick of dealing with my POS Y-pipe (long story, but I no Mufflex fan). Even then, I'll probably do dual electric cuouts, maybe off the headers. :D

I would like to add that my car would sound significantly different if I had the stock catback with the cutout on it, even if the rest of my exhaust remained the way it is. Remember, only some of the exhaust actually goes through the cutout, the rest exits through the catback.

Qwk90GT is dead on. Joe, your car at idle w/ long tubes, big cam and cut-out open sounds OK. But I still think it sounds better thru the mufflers. A stock or near stock car w/ a cutout sounds bad(as in "not good"). It just sounds like the muffler fell off the car or some big ole truck w/out a muffler..

I definitely don't think it's worth the few horsepower...

Originally posted by Nevarmore:

So you guys are all sitting around talking about how your car SOUNDS??? graemlins/gives.gif ricers.

Yes, why not? tongue.gif Talking about what makes a good sounding V8 is rice? wtf? :confused: Hell, there should be more discussion on making 4 bangers sound good.

It's not like we're talking about pink neons flashing to the bass, and how our headrest-mounted TVs sound. :rolleyes:

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by John M¡lner:

Yes, why not? tongue.gif Talking about what makes a good sounding V8 is rice? wtf? :confused: Hell, there should be more discussion on making 4 bangers sound good.

The sound is a matter of opinion and personal taste. Yes, its good to have a nice sounding car, but it just seems like the discussion is getting wayy too hyped up over how a cutout sounds.

Especially considering that a cutout can be closed so that when you want to sound cool you can shoot the exhaust thru the system and when you want to go fast you can crack it open and dump the fumes.