Wheel bearings - gonna need help

SupraGlue

Okay, I've decided that while my car is down that I'm going to do a few maintenance items that really need done. One of those is rear wheel bearing replacement (ugh!).

So far things look like this: to get the thing off is going to require several items that I don't currently have. One is an impact wrench. Does anyone know where I can rent/borrow a portable air compressor and an IW?

Another is a ball joint puller. I've been advised by Supra experts to use a ball joint puller and ball joint press for removing/reinstalling the ball joints. I understand that these are available at Autozone. If anyone knows more about that, please let me know.

The other big thing I need to find is a shop that will press out the old bearings and press in the new ones. If anyone has any recommendations, that would be great.

That's about it. I'm going to order the parts and probably do the disassembly Sunday. Anyone who wants to get nice and dirty is welcome to help. Pool is open (and heated) so, bring swimming trunks! :cool:

Lemme see if I still have my ball nut separator from my old coil over set up. I did know where an impact wrench/air gun was but I can't get ahold of him any more I have no clue where he is. BUT I'll check on the ball joint separator and give it to ya, I don't think I'll need it anytime soon. I'll look round for the impact gun if I can find it. Gonna work on the F-body soon too? Peace

Good thing i dedided to look at this thread before I replied to your PM Mark. My dad has a pretty good sized air compressor and IW. Which I should be able bring over, along with other air tools to make life easier. So, you can count me in.

I have a gear puller, but Autozone has what you need. Rent it tomorrow during the day if you can, don't wait for the weekend.

My Sunday is family day, but I'll be out late Sat. night.

http://flathat.woodstream.net/ColumbusRacing/tk/Mark2.jpg

Sweet, thanks guys. smile.gif This is definitely ON for Sunday. I'm going to make calls tomorrow to find a shop that can press them out and back in. I expect the bearings will be here Monday or Tuesday. Then the "easy" part -- reassembling everything. smile.gif

Oh, and if anyone has a torque wrench, mine's down in Athens with the Camaro. :(

BTW, Scott -- I'm going to put together a camping, fishing, shooting, four-wheeling, country road blitzing, weekend sometime in August down on our land in Athens. :D I'm sure more parts will get torn off the Camaro then. ;)

Mark, I would be glad to take the bearings to work to press the old ones out and the new ones in. If you plan on removing everything on Sunday, I can do it for you Monday and have them back to you that afternoon. Let me know if that's cool. Later.

Originally posted by Stolen UFO:

BTW, Scott -- I'm going to put together a camping, fishing, shooting, four-wheeling, country road blitzing, weekend sometime in August down on our land in Athens. :D I'm sure more parts will get torn off the Camaro then. ;)

Anytime any place, I am down. I deffinately wanna see the camaro run again. If anything I'll bring on up some more tools if needed, I'd love to hear that 388ci run. :D Lemme know when cause usually on the 3rd weekend of every month I have to go serve Uncle Sam. Peace

[ 12 July 2002, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Goin2the ARMY ]

Originally posted by GRN96WS6:

What ever happend to working on it tomorrow?

Birthday dinner for my girlfriend, and we have to be there (downtown) at 6. I didn't want to inconvenience you guys and take up the middle of the afternoon. We still can, if you want. smile.gif

Thanks Tommy and Eric (who brought a jack over) for helping me get started. Looks like we're going to be working on it again today around 4:30 or so. The pool is perfect, too. :cool:

Just IM me if you're interested in helping, spectating, or just standing around laughing at us. smile.gif